Part 6

Chris greeted Angie politely but ignored the flirtatious smile. She was almost his mother's age and while he appreciated the maturity of older women, he preferred someone a little closer to his own age.

"Where is that young dancer we spoke of the other night?" Grace asked.

Young dancer? It wasn't unusual for his mother to take an interest in one or more of the students that came to the programs. She had been helped by the scholarship program when she was in high school and enjoyed passing on the blessings each year. But the way she asked...

Chris looked in the direction Angie nodded and his breath caught in his throat. "Mom!" he exclaimed. It was her. The girl from the festival weeks ago. "How did you-"

Grace laughed and patted Chris' hand. "I saw her at the final performances last night and recognized her." She grinned up at him. "Why do you think I insisted on you coming tonight?"

Angie and his mother began walking in the girl's direction before he realized it and hurried to catch up.

He'd been dreaming about meeting this girl for weeks but now that he was in the same room as her, he didn't quite know what to do with himself. Try as he might, his various dates over the past three weeks had done nothing to erase the impression that girl had made in his heart. And now she was here. And he was about to meet her!

She was as beautiful as he remembered, though her hair was partially swept pulled back away from her face, with loose tendrils kissing her cheeks. He could now see that her eyes were a pale green, an enchanting shade he'd not encountered before. When her gaze locked on his, her eyes widened in surprise and she grasped the table in front of her.

"Sabrina, I'd like to introduce Mrs. Grace Ralston, a valued patron of our school and company. Grace, this is Sabrina Mansfield."

The girl-Sabrina-looked away from him and stood gracefully to greet his mother with a soft voice that went straight to his heart. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mrs. Ralston."

His mother smiled. "Likewise, Sabrina. I enjoyed your performance last night. It was truly breathtaking."

Sabrina's cheeks turned a pretty shade of pink. "Thank you."

Grace turned slightly and motioned towards him. "I'd like to introduce my son, Lieutenant Christopher Ralston."

Chis stared for a moment as their eyes met once again and then shook his head. "Miss Mansfield," he said with a slight bow.

She blinked several times and gave an uncertain smile. "Lieutenant Ralston."

His mother frowned at him and he cleared his throat. "It's a pleasure to meet you," he said, trying to keep his voice from betraying his emotion.

Sabrina nodded and then looked down at her hands, which were clasped tightly in front of her.

Grace's frown deepened as she looked at Chris and then turned back to Sabrina with a warm smile. "I understand you were invited to join the pre-professional program this upcoming school year."

Chris knew what an honor that invitation was. Very few were invited. He was both impressed and intrigued.

Sabrina looked up, a mixture of pride and sadness in her eyes. "Yes, I was."

"But you didn't take it?" Grace asked gently.

Sabrina gave an almost apologetic smile. "I have another year of high school left. I..." she paused, looking back down at her hands. "I'm very close to my parents and we decided to wait until after I graduate to make changes like that."

Grace nodded. "I can understand that." She looked back at Chris with a fond smile. "It's hard letting our children go."

"Oh, my parents encouraged me to take the offer," Sabrina added quickly. "They let me decide. But..." She shrugged. "I'm not ready to be alone in a big city."

Grace took Sabrina's hand. "If you change your mind," she paused and Chris could see that his mother had taken a liking to this girl. "I have a big empty house and would enjoy the company."

"I-" Sabrina's eyes grew wide. "What? But you don't know me. Why would you...?" Sabrina looked at Chris and then back at his mother. "Why?"

"I came to Boston not knowing anyone either, but it was the best decision I ever made. I'd hate for you to not come just because you were...concerned about being alone. And your parents could visit and stay with you whenever they wanted."

Sabrina blinked, eyes still wide. "Thank you," she said after a long moment.

"Think about it, Sabrina," Grace said, squeezing her hand. "Absolutely no pressure. I just wanted to offer. Angie knows how to get in touch with me." She leaned forward and kissed Sabrina on the cheek. "Enjoy the dinner."

Grace gave a last smile and then turned and walked away. Chris watched as Sabrina sat down hard in her chair and stared at the table in front of her. He then realized he was staring and turned and quickly followed his mother.

"Mom!" he exclaimed as he caught up. "What are you doing?"

"Helping an extremely talented dancer." She looked up at him, the same glint in her eyes that had been there earlier. "What else would I be doing?"

"She really is quite extraordinary," Angie said as they walked across the empty dance floor. "Martin is quite determined to get her into his company before she's snatched up by New York. Or somewhere in Europe."

"She's that good?" Chris asked, looking back without thinking first. Sabrina still stared at the table.

Grace put his hand on his arm. "And then you won't have to go searching for her."