Escape for your Life

Ashley waited until Troy's breathing evened before she sat up in the bed.  She waited several more minutes to make sure he didn't wake up before slowly getting up and going into the bathroom. Closing the door she rolled her shoulders to ease some of the tension, placing her mobile on the sink she turned the shower on.  As the sound of running water filled the room she slide opened the window that led outside and hoisted herself up.

"Ashley can I join you," she heard Troy call from the bedroom.

Looking at the door knob that she'd locked she waited for it to rattle; when it didn't she called back, "I'm almost done give me a minute!"

She didn't wait for his response as she finished climbing out the window and took off toward the bus stop. It was late, she didn't have her shoes or her mobile but she knew she needed to the hell away from him. Running on the cold sidewalk she prayed he would wait several more minutes before he went to check on her again.

As she turned the corner saw Rashawn and Janelle staring at her.

"Your mother called and told me to wait here for as long as it took," said Rashawn in answer to her unspoken question.  Nodding toward the car he said wearily, "Get in we need to get to Saints Edge before noon."

Ignore Janelle's presence she climbed into the back seat, "I'll accept the ride but if you don't mind I don't feel like talking.  Please just hurry up and drive."

Janelle rolled her eyes and whined, "I don't know why you doing this Rashawn.  That biotch isn't appreciative."

Rashawn put the car in drive and sped down the street.  Looking in the rear view mirror at Ashley he frowned as she kept looking behind them with a worried expression, "Ashley I don't know why your mom asked me to do this.  Did you want to explain? When I asked her she told me to do it or she'd curse me and my descendants with poverty."

Rolling her eyes Janelle mumbled, "That old witch couldn't put a hex on a dog much less you."

Ashley stayed quiet as they sped away from the campus housing toward the expressway.  Looking at the smart watch Troy gave her she hurriedly snatched it off and threw it out the window sure it could track her.

"Girl you crazy!  That watch cost at least $300," yelled Janelle as she stare at her like she was stupid."

Turning to look at the road she stared silently the entire 10 hour drive to Saints Edge.  When they pulled in front of her family's Tudor house she hurriedly climbed out of the drop top before he'd finished stopping.  Running up the stairs she saw the salt line that her mother had laid every day and skipped over it.  Opening the front door and rushing into the house she screamed, "Mom! Mom!"

Brenda Rae Monroe walked out of the kitchen and her expression immediately relaxed as she looked at Ashley.  "Baby girl you made it," walking to her she wrapped her in a huge bear hug.  "Don't worry I have created something I think will protect you."

Ashley pushed away from her, "You think?  Mom, I don't want to be killed!"

Brenda pushed strands of her daughter's hair from her face, "Baby girl.  Your destiny was preordained at your birth you are meant to die by that man's hand."  When Ashley eyes widened and filled with tears she hurried to add, "But we will fight it.  I'm not going to let you go without a fight."

Pushing from her mom's grip she asked angrily, "You could have warned me of my impending doom in the first place.  You've obviously known for a long ass time!"

Brenda nodded, "Well I knew you were slated to die young but until a month ago it seemed as if the resolve to kill you wasn't there.  But about a month ago I started to see the resolve changing and dreamed of your death."

Touching her neck she blinked, A month ago I had that dream of Troy trying to literally eat me. Quickly she told her mom about what she'd thought was a dream.

"Troy tasted you," nodding she stood up and walked toward the kitchen. "It must have been at that time he decided he was going to kill you."

Walking behind her dazed she looked at the pot her mom had on the stove, "What's that?"

Her mom smiled, "This is what's going to kill Troy."  Lifting the lid she chuckled, "When he goes to drink your blood he'll be poisoned."

Staring at her mom she asked wearily, "Will I be poisoned too?"

Her mom stirred the mixture, "Of course not.  This is a demon poison and you aren't a demon."

Shaking her head she watched her mom pour the thick stew like concoction into a bowl, "You will eat this.  When he comes for you let him take you willingly because when he bites you he will most definitely die.  He can wait another 100 or so years to try to break that curse laid on him."

Ashley frowned and nodded, "I saw the curse in a dream."

Brenda Rae stopped scooping to look at her daughter questionably, "What type of curse was it?  Why was it laid on him?"

Ashley took the bowl and set it on the table watching it bubble while it cooled, "He took away an evil demon's powers after she'd killed a number people and with her dying breath she cursed him and his family." Pushing the stew away her brow furrowed as she whispered, "He didn't do anything wrong.  He was trying to protect humanity"

Sitting at the table she grabbed Ashley's hands, "And you did!  How many times has he let the carrier live?"  Staring beseechingly into Ashley's eyes she said earnestly, "Do not feel bad for him, he decided you weren't good enough to live."

"I don't want to die," dropping her mom's hand, "I'm not one of those self-sacrificing types."  Picking up the spoon she brought a bit of the stew to her mouth.  As she went to bite into it her body reacted on it's on throwing the spoon on the floor and knocking the stew over.

"What the hell," cried her mom as she watched?  "He's laid a charm on you," staring at her wearily she asked, "Has he given you something?"  At Ashley confused looked she said loudly, "Something he doesn't eat or drink himself."

Ashley nodded, "The jam his mother makes."

"Oh gawd, Ashley!" Picking up a chunk of the stew as Ashley was about to say something she shoved it into her mouth placing her hand over her mouth and grabbing her nose.  "It's gonna burn like hell on the way down but I'm doing this to save your life."

Ashley body was rejecting whatever it was her mom had made and she could feel the tears as she tried to spit it out because her body refused to swallow and she couldn't breathe.  Finally after an eternity of struggle she swallowed and her mom removed her hands.

Ashley thought her insides would melt at the fire that she felt.  Looking at her mom she gagged, "I'm going to be sick!"

 Watching Ashley dry heave she smiled sadly, "No baby you are going to be alive."