Welcome

Staring out the window Ashley clicked her tongue; she had a new neighbor. She watched a pretty young blond woman direct the movers as items were carried from the truck into the small cabin.

She sipped her green tea and a thoughtful frown appeared as she thought about how mundane and routine her life had become. She'd moved to Wilcox with her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend to attend nursing college and to get from under her mom. After she found them in bed together she'd decided she needed another new start and had moved out that same day. She saw them on campus from time to time but she'd ignore them; they were no longer part of her life.

Upset with her train of thought Ashley perked up and decided she'd be the clichéd neighbor and take cookies next door. With a determined smile she skipped into her small kitchenette and put on some frozen cookie dough.

While the cookies baked she walked to the tiny master bedroom and changed out of her fleece pajamas and into a pair of skinny blue jeans and a tan sweater. She brushed her teeth, moisturized her face and when she heard the timer chime she sashayed into the kitchen. "No more shy Ashley," she whispered with a false bravo.

Ashley placed the golden brown chocolate chip cookies on a cooling rack and she went to moisturize and re-twist parts of her hair. She applied brown shiny lipgloss, washed her hands and hurried back into the kitchen. She put the cookies in a plastic container and hoped the new neighbor or neighbors were nice.

An annoyed groan escaped her lips as closed her eyes and thought about the last people. The guy had been an abusive prick and his wife and he constantly had fights which drove her to call the campus police several times and finally the state police. When their lease was up the owner, tired of complaints and citations, didn't renew.

"Hello," she called as she walked up the sidewalk toward woman.

Ashey felt a little jealous as the beautiful sun kissed blond turned and stared blankly at her. Ashely glanced down at the cookies as uncertainty filled her than back at the woman to find she had friendly smile.

"Hi! You must be Troy's new neighbor!" She reached out to shake Ashley's hand and laughed when the cookies were placed there instead.

Ashley stared at her mortified that she'd given her the cookies instead of a handshake. Quickly she took the cookies back and shook her head at her own stupidity. With am embarrassed giggle she gripped the woman's overly warm hand. "I'm Ashley Monroe," she nodded her head towards the smaller cabin and continued, "I'm your neighbor to the right."

"Oh no, you're mistaken." At Ashley's perplexed look she added, "I'm the new owner's sister. He had to go to the university about a research grant and asked me to help with the moving." She giggled as she took the cookies from Ashley's hands. "I'm Samantha! Why don't you come inside and I'll make coffee to go with these cookies."

Ashley nodded her head and followed Samantha inside. She'd never been in any of the cottages that dotted the street and had to say that Mr. Hamad had did a wonderful renovation on this one. Ashley walked through the cozy entryway and her gaze frozen on the full size fireplace nestled between the living room dining room. Light oak and glass glass pane french doors showed that a small bedroom had been converted into an office. Ashely walked into a full size kitchen and felt jealousy eat at her as she took in the gourmet space. " Mine's only had a kitchenette with a small counter for eating," complained Ashley to herself.

Ashley watched as Samantha put a kettle on the stove and winced because she assumed they would be having instant and not drip coffee.

Samantha started to make small talk as she took a French coffee press from a box, "Have you lived here long?"

Ashley raised her shoulders in a shrug, "No I moved here about three months ago. I used to live on Caterpillar Lane with roommates but decided I'd rather be by myself." She said the last proud that bitterness hadn't tinged her voice as she thought again of her best friend since grade school fucking her boyfriend of three years.

Samantha looked at her with a sympathetic smile, "I almost didn't catch that bitterness. It'll go away in time." Samantha held up a hand to stop Ashley from saying anything, "I'm a senior at Lady of the Blessed Moon and my parents are professors at the university. We live on Orchard Court about a mile away." Immaturely she continued as she grabbed a cookie, "Troy decided he was tired of living at home and bought this place. He's such a loser."

Ashley had to giggle at her tone. She heard the front screen of the house open and close but ignored it. She assumed the movers were had brought more furniture or boxes so when a sexy voicespoke from behind her she almost jumped out of her skin.

"Sam, who's your friend?"

Ashley turned and almost bit off her tongue when she looked at the sexiest guy she'd ever seen. He stood at least 6'0, with brownish gold hair and baby blue eyes. The kettle started to whistle and she was sure it was alerting everyone to the hot ass guy in the door way of the kitchen.

"I-I-I'm Sam-Ash," she stuttered. Ashley felt heat rise up her cheeks when he started to curl his lips into a smile so sexy it should be illegal in all 50 states.

Samantha's laugh cut through Ashley's stuttering. Her eyes danced as she watched the pretty woman stumble over her words. "Troy, meet your neighbor Ashley-," she paused and arched an eyebrow at Ashley.

"Single," Ashley stated as she gawked at him. Her face flushed more when she heard Samantha's hoot of laughter from the stool she sat on in front of the counter.

Troy smiled and showed a set of perfect teeth, "Ashley Single?"

Mortified she shook her head, "No! I'm sorry my name is Ashley Sade Monroe -"

He leaned against the door frame and drawled, "And you're single."

Ashley's face was beet red as she gaped at him. Ashley stood up from her stool next to Samantha and moved toward the exit. "I'm so sorry! I have to go find my life." As she said this she eased past Troy toward the front door.

"What about the coffee," asked Samantha with a giggle from behind her.

"I'm so sorry," she said as she exited the front door, "I really have to go die now."

Troy's laughter echoed behind her as she ran back to her small house ready to cry tears of mortification and shame.

As she walked into her house she snapped to herself, "You'd think I'd never seen a good looking guy before." Ashley slipped to the floor and curled up into a ball as she cursed herself for stupid. "Ah," she moaned, "I have to be his neighbor for 9 months before I can move." After she'd rocked for several second she stood up and walked to her kitchen. "Okay I move pass this embarassment," she muttered as she went to make herself a cup of green tea and bake herself a few cookies.

********

"That was quick," commented Troy as he stared at Samantha. Picking up a cookie he smiled, "I thought it would take longer..."

Samantha grinned back, "She seems nice." She bit into the cookie and listened intently as Troy started to talk about his plans for Ashley Sade Monroe.