Chapter 2 : Recon Mission

I ignored Milly's protests as she followed me out of the bathroom; she was too gentle-hearted. I made my way down the hallway, with confident strides. Milly was practically jogging to keep up, trailing behind me, as my eyes locked on my target. All of sudden, the blood drained from her face, and her pace broke when she realized where I was headed. I briefly glanced over my shoulder at he horror-struck face, still stained with tears that caused trails of mascara to remain on her cheeks, but I did not stop. If anything, the sight of my friend in such a pathetic state, only strengthened my resolve. 

I reached the string of lockers that connected to the outside of the sports room, just as Jamie Beckett finished unlatching the little black lock that was attached to the one assigned to him. I did not give him time to acknowledge my existence, before slamming it shut again. The deafening explosion that the locker made as the metal door connected with its equally solid frame, made everyone in the general vicinity revert their gazes from whatever mundane task that they had previously been attending to.

Jamie looked up with startled blue eyes, until he registered who he was looking at. Instantly understanding the situation: my anger at the distress he pilled onto my best friend, he sighed, and in a resigned voice declared: "That wasn't necessary, you know?"

"Interesting that you have a concept of what is considered 'unnecessary', seeing as how you subjected Milly to an entire round of unnecessary grief." 

I saw regret flash in those crystal eyes. He took a couple seconds to erase any trace from his features, before giving his response. "It is not my fault that she is so naive. I don't know why everyone keeps throwing themselves at him, when it is clear that he's not really interested in anything more than fun." he spat, irritated. "Honestly, I thought Milly was smarter than those other girls." 

I didn't understand the distant gleam in his expression; it was a mix between 'hurt' and 'agitation'. I knew that it would probably be frustrating for him to occasionally have to deal with the girls who were unaware that they had been rejected and played, but the look that he was sporting was a little too involved. In some way, it appeared as if he took this particular offence, personally. I did not know Jamie well enough to determine if he had some brother complex, but I had hung around his circle enough to know that this was not his typical countenance. 

Usually, nothing seemed to get this kid down. I had never seen him even remotely upset, and obviously this had happened before, but I had still never noticed any change in demeanour. Perhaps Jamie had finally reached his limit. I could use that to my advantage.

Jamie's eyebrows pulled together when he saw the slow smile spread across my face, in what I was sure was a rather diabolical expression. He regarded me with apprehension when he spoke the next words.

"What? Am I missing something?"

"Jamie, Jamie, Jamie...how would you like to help me with a little project?" I said, flashing my teeth.

"ummm...what kind of project?" I had grown so accustom to his easygoing attitude, that this constant scepticism was a little strange, but he deserved to be kept on the edge.

"Its a secret."

He rolled his eyes with a lightly amused smile "Sorry, but I can't help unless I know what I have to do"

"It is only a secret until I know that I can trust you." He looked briefly offended, until I gave him a pointed look, which was clearly meant to be interpreted as 'Milly'. "Do you have any plans for the rest of the day?"

"No, soccer practice was cancelled; but I'm not going anywhere until I know what this is about." he said, resolutely.

I deliberated for a couple seconds, before coming to the conclusion, that if he refused to come with me, then I could always throw him in the boot of my car. As he already said: he does not have any plans, so no one would miss him. "Its about getting back at your brother"