essay about the declaration of human rights

Madalyn Juarez

2/22/12

2nd hour

  Do you know how many stories of atrocities like Elis Wiesel’s “Night” and Nujood Ali’s heart touching story “I am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced” there are in the world? In some places there are up to 400 abuse cases reported every day. How many people are suffering from abuse and are not reporting it? Can you believe that “during the Holocaust of World War II, Hitler’s Final Solution resulted in the death of 6 million or 78% of European Jews” that’s “nearly two out of every three European Jews”(United States Holocaust Memorial museum).  Articles 4 and 5 in the Declaration of Human Rights continue to be relevant and will help prevent any group performing such crimes against humanity ever again.

No one should ever be subjected to servitude or slavery and slavery trade is illegal and prohibited in any form. About 51 million girls younger than the age of 18 are child brides and it is estimated that every year ten to 12 million girls will become child brides “Child brides experience a higher incidence of domestic violence, marital abuse (including physical, sexual or psychological abuse) and abandonment” (About.com)and no one should ever be subjected to these  risks. Child Brides are usually the result of poverty stricken families reducing family expenses by having one less mouth to feed; child marriages also take place because of tradition, gender roles and to ensure security. The United Nations is encouraging the prohibition and laws against child marriages. The Declaration of Human Rights helps prevent child marriages from ever happening in the United States and ensures that every child has a chance at a good childhood.

 “No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhumane or degrading treatment or punishment.” An estimated 11 million people died in the holocaust because of one man hunger for power. Most of the people that died were European Jews that were forced into concentration and death camps to bear witness to indescribable horrors that would forever haunt them. In many camps prisoners were starved and beaten often for unjustifiable reasons that would forever scare those that survived both mentally and physically. The United Nation now work together to prevent another tragic genocide from ever taking place again. The Declaration of Human Rights prevents manslaughter like the one that toke place in Germany to ever take place in the United States.

Everyone no matter what they look like, what skin tone they have, age or gender deserve the right to be the sole owner of themselves, to feel safe and free, to be able to live however they please and do whatever they please without being scared of what others may do because of their choice. We should never forget those that suffered before us to ensure that we had the rights we have today and we should continue to fight for the rights of others that still do not have the same privileges that we have with the Declaration of Human Rights. Without The Declaration of Human Rights we wouldn’t be where we are today so it’s important that we never forget that without it many people wouldn’t be here and have the rights they have today.

The Declaration of Human Rights continues to be relevant and provides us with Articles like 4 and 5 that prohibit slavery, servitude, torture and inhuman treatment. Unfortunately, billions of people have been exposed to the cruelty that exists in our world and have been often forced to suffer in silence, like the ten to twelve million girls under the age of 18 being forced into an agreement that they are still too young to understand the consequences of the action. These child brides can be as young as 5 and sometimes they’re even younger. Fortunately for us we have the Declaration of Human Rights that protects us from a forced marriage, but what about those that don’t have it. Don’t they deserve the same rights that we have?