Prologue

XANDER

XANDER

I would have never thought this day would come. I inherited the crown at only 20 years of age. I was only a boy with a burden. And it wouldn't end there. In other to rule, I wanted a woman at my side. A woman of a different race.

When I decided to have a culling of only women of color, my court became indignant. They didn't understand why I decided to take the peril. I wanted something contemporary. Something the people didn't see coming.

"I want to marry a Black woman." I told them while I was sitting down on the throne that once belonged to my father. "This is my preference. And you can't tell me what to do."

"Your Majesty," my mother said from across the room. "You can't possibly mean that. We won't accept you with a woman of color. You will be breaking the rules. The blood will be tainted forever if you do." The people of the court concurred with my mother while I stood with a grin across my face.

"I am uplifting the rules, mother. Rules can change."

She mourned. "This is a change that we are not waiting for, Xander. I won't allow you to marry a woman of color. You're the new King of Feneva. Sending a positive message to your people will show them how good of a king you are. Marrying a woman who isn't your kind will ruin their experience. The country is already corrupted. Do not add more quandaries, Xander."

"Mother." I stood and walked toward my irate mother. "You will not disobey my commands. I am the king. You do what I say. I will begin my choosing."

"I won't be part of this evil," she shouted at the top of her voice. She coughed once or twice before continuing. "Marrying one will taint our kingdom. It will bring forth a curse. Your ancestors will curse you, Xander. With bad omens." Mother wasn't herself anymore. I had my coronation earlier today just before I brought up the news to all of them.

"You will be part of it. My children will be your grandchildren. And you will be a grandmother to them all."

She was outraged, veins popping up on her forehead. "Don't tell me you're planning on having children with the creature. You've gone mad, Xander. Maybe an asylum is a perfect place for you."

I laughed loudly in the almost empty room. She and everyone else could hear my anger. "Yes, mother. I will be intimate with the woman." The entire court made noises, noises that were a disturbance. I could hear the anger in their voices, of how I betrayed my mother and the people.

I dismissed the court except for my uncle Earl. He was the most loyal assistant of mine. He had remained quiet, listening to the entire ordeal. "Let him decide, Madison. He is the one marrying her, not you."

"You're sick. All of you." Mother would never accept the woman I wanted to marry. She was pointing a finger at us, her face now red. She was a very irate red queen. "I hope she dies in your hand or during childbirth. She will never see the light of day. Never. I will spit on her grave." Mother spat while she spoke and that never ruined anything for me. The choice would happen and I was going to America.

"Guards," I called. "Take my mother to her chamber. She'd gone mad."

"Go to hell Xander," she shouted while she was being taken away. "Enjoy your infatuation while it lasts. You and I both know you won't find true love this way. Interracial relationships is a sin. A plaque."

I smiled from cheek to cheek. "Absolutely."

"Fifteen girls," I said to Earl

"Check."

"Between 18 and 20."

"Check."

"They shall have a physical examination."

"Check."

"Thank you, Earl."

"You're welcome, Your Majesty."

He had lots of documents on his desk while he planned my trip to the USA. It would be a huge change for me. I was too excited to be with the woman I ever wanted.

Here I come.