Chapter Seventeen

Börja om från början

"I love you too, Ethan." I answered quietly against his lips. Even from this angle, I could feel Ethan's body jump to attention at what I said. He settled me back on the floor, but I didn't let go of him as I pulled him down for another kiss.

"Lucas," Ethan groaned, keeping his voice low, parting our lips, "If you keep doing that, your parents and your uncle are going to castrate me because I'm about to take you up to your room and just-"

"Just what?" A voice asked.

"Son of a bitch." Ethan squeaked, making me step away from him and peek around to see Ace leaning against the wall, watching Ethan with a quirked brow and a frown to go with. Ethan stood there, staring at him like he had no idea what to do.

I could see why he'd be intimidated. Ace was huge. Bigger than Rick, taller, and even at his age, Ace could easily out bench any NFL football player.

"Just... Read." Ethan answered dumbly.

"Read," Ace echoed sternly, "Right. Why don't you two come into the living room with everyone else?"

"I, uhm... I'll just hang out here," Ethan said, looking uneasy, "Go ahead, Lucas." I frowned.

"Come with me." I stated, taking his hand. Ace looked at me curiously and Ethan just gaped at me like I had slapped Ace across the face. I led Ethan into the living room, taking a spot next to Blake, who was also sitting by Danny. Blake gave me a curious stare after we sat down and I used my eyes to let him know that Ace had caught Ethan and I having a moment. Blake sighed, glancing at Danny, who groaned.

"Dad, quit it. Ethan's a great kid." Danny complained. Ace held up his hands in defense.

"Never said he wasn't. I'm just doing my job." He answered, then plopped on the sofa by Vic, who grabbed his beer, handing it to Ace. Everyone chuckled and went back to conversing. There were at least three different conversations going on and I switched every so often. I mostly did listening, but I liked catching people off guard with my comments. Cherri would grin at me every time I did like I was the most amusing thing in the world.

Unfortunately, Ethan just sat there in silence, avoiding most of the conversations. Every so often, he'd squeeze my hand and I'd squeeze back.

I was curious. Why was he hiding? No one hated him, not even Rick. Sure, they swapped banter, but it was harmless. I knew when Rick really hated someone, and he would never let someone he hated into the house, especially to live and work at his shop.

So, as everyone departed for the kitchen to get ready for the dinner, I held Ethan back.

"What?" Ethan asked, looking at me suspiciously. I frowned.

"You look uncomfortable."

"Eh... Dunno."

"Ethan."

"Look," Ethan sighed, averting his eyes to look through the dining room to the kitchen where people were setting up tables, "I'm not used to all of this, that's all. I've never celebrated Thanksgiving or any of those other holidays." I blinked.

"You didn't tell me that."

"Cuz I feel stupid."

"You're not stupid."

"Lucas, I can't read above a fourth grade reading level."

"That doesn't make you stupid."

"Says you."

"Says me, unless my opinion doesn't matter." I said with a shrug, letting go of Ethan's hand and watching his expression twist up in apology.

"I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry. I just really feel weird with all this and I don't like talking about it."