Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Well, then again, he looked nice every day.

"Let's go before your uncle has a cow. Last thing I need is Rick spewing mammals to keep me away from you." Ethan drawled, pushing me gently in the back to shoo me to the door. I rolled my eyes, but we stopped when Rick was coming down the hallway, tugging on his leather jacket over his silk shirt. He glanced Ethan up and down and shrugged.

"You look human." He answered nonchalantly.

"You still look like Satan." Ethan responded. Rick snorted.

"Good. I'll scare my mother-in-law's husband." He replied, looking cheerful at the thought of Cherri's husband freaking out at the sight of him. Cherri was the mother of Danny and Devin. She and Ace, once upon a time, had been married, but apparently they divorced and...

Well, you know the story.

"If you're going to make him cry, let me at least get the camera first." Devin said, coming up behind Rick with a wicked grin. Apparently, no one liked Mr. Lurez. I almost felt sorry for him- if I knew him, of course.

"They're here! For the love of God, everyone get downstairs!" Danny barked.

"This is my house." Rick grunted, but didn't complain anymore when Devin elbowed him in the ribs, gesturing for everyone to head downstairs. By the time we were down there, Vic and Ace were already walking in, getting showered in attention by my parents and Oliver's.

Speaking of Oliver...

I wandered away from the uncomfortable reunion to look for Oliver. Part of me knew I was going to regret finding him, but like a good teenager, I ignored my common sense and went ahead to the kitchen.

"Nick, don't you dare... I'm serious about this stop! Ow! That hurts! Gentle my ass. You're pushing it in!"

It was probably a bad idea to walk in on whatever was happening in our kitchen.

Our kitchen.

Kitchen.

Where we eat.

I scowled and walked into the kitchen, but pulled up short to see Nick poking at Oliver's finger. A very friendly looking butcher knife was in Oliver's other hand. Oliver glanced up and saw my face, his cheeks burning red.

"It's not how it sounded. I got a splinter from my dad's stupid cutting board." He snorted. I rolled my eyes, but said nothing before pointing down the hallway to the foyer. Oliver sighed.

"I know. I'll be there in a minute. Just let me get this- Ow!" He cut off with a sharp yelp.

"Got it." Nick declared pleasantly, dropping the splinter in the sink before clearing his throat awkwardly as Oliver glared daggers at him, sucking on his finger while clenching his fist on the knife.

"Five second headstart. Take it or leave it." Oliver threatened. Nick held up his hands in defense, then pretended to innocently look over and notice me for the first time.

"Lucas! Buddy, hey, let's go see your family and leave Oliver to PMS on his own."

"Three seconds." Oliver warned.

"Now." Nick said quickly, rushing over and gesturing for me to go in front of him. He still seemed uneasy about touching me, and to be honest, I was still a little nervous about this whole trusting people thing, but Ethan had told something that comforted me...

"Let yourself trust people, Lucas. Seriously. And if they hurt you, just let me know and I'll be all over them like Rick was on me. In fact, I'd probably even scare your uncle with how badly I'd beat them."