Chapter 14: The Stockyard.

Sleep came easier than I thought. I guess, I just love sleep! But the sleep I do have is filled full of horrific nightmares that are unwanted.

I saw hundreds of different scenes while I was in about a six hour sleep. Each of them bringing new fears to the surface. I saw my mother die in front of my eyes. I watched Snow personally claw out Corrin's eyes with his abnornmally long fingernails. I watched all the tributes kill me in twenty three different ways, each worse than the last.

As I get up the morning of the arena, I shake my head from those images and try to keep my tears at bay. It doesn't work as a few tears stain my cheeks. Angry at myself, I wipe them clean with a little too much force.

I fling myself in the shower and have the last proper clean wash for a while. If I ever make it that long. For all I know, I could be going home. Just in a wooden box.

I get out the shower, get dried and throw on some clothes that are left out. They aren't the ones I'll wear in the arena, I'll get them later.

I stumble out of my room for the last time and walk to the dining room.

"Good morning Johanna." Even Una's voice is somber and holds hurt inside.

I look up at her made up face and I see those tell tale bloodshot eyes. She's been crying.

"Morning." I try to be on my best behaviour, I don't want to make matters worse between us.

We haven't exactly had the best friendship going.

I sit down and eat whatever is shoved my way.

"Where are they?" I nod to the two empty seats across from me.

Blight nor Cade is here yet.

"They've gone already." Una shrugs.

"What?"

"They. Have. Gone. To. The Hovercraft." Una says slowly.

That damn bitch. Forget everything I said about being on my best damn behaviour.

"I'm not stupid, bitch."

"That's it! Get out of my sight! I was trying hard to have a civil conversation but clearly you don't want that! Get out and go to the ground floor, someone is waiting for you!" Una snaps, shaking the table so the drinks spill everywhere.

Idiot.

I huff as I get up and leave. Muttering some words that shouldn't be repeated under my breath, I head towards the elevator. And it dawns on me.

I wasn't really bothered about the games. If I die, I die. There is nothing I can do. I'm not scared of what lies ahead. Why should I be? There is nothing I can do to stop it. But thinking about this, I am scared.

There I said it. I'm fucking terrified.

I could be dead in a matter of hours in the bloodbath. I could be shot by a freak from another district. I could be dying from lack of hydration.

And there is nothing I can do to prevent it.

My legs start to turn into jelly as I stand and wait to get to the ground floor. My mind is still whizzing as it dings open.

I walk slowly towards Lila. My stylist, who had chosen to wear the worlds ugliest dress today.

Let's give her a round of applause, ladies and gentlemen!

"Ah Johanna! Cade and Blight have already left on the first hovercraft. We are on the second. I take it you said your goodbyes?" She messes around with her fingernails, taking no notice of me whatsoever.