Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I watched as Gloria carried in shopping bag after shopping bag. Each bag was absolutely full of clothes. Never in my life have I ever owned this many items of apparel.

“You didn't have to do all this!” I told Bryce in disbelief.

“You needed something to wear. If you don't like it then it can always be returned.” he shrugs, as if this much money spent doesn't bother him.

“This it all too much. You shouldn't spend so much money on me.”

He shakes his head. “Believe me when I say that this doesn't even make a dent in my bank account. Besides, this isn't anything that you don't deserve.”

“Go give us a fashion show,” Gloria says, putting several bags into my hands. “I want to see how these all look on you.”

I made my way upstairs into my bedroom. Bryce and Gloria followed me with the rest of the bags. I went to change inside of the walk-in closet to show them the clothes. A few items were maternity outfits that were for the future. I still wasn't showing yet, so they had no use to me as of right now.

The first outfit was a nice light floral dress. It fell loosely along my body. I stepped out to show Gloria. To my surprise, Bryce had remained for this little fashion show.

Bryce smiled as soon as he saw me. “Beautiful.”

My cheeks began to heat up. “Thank you.”

Each outfit I had the same reaction from him. Needless to say, he was just being nice. I'm just the pregnant girl living in his house that has a bad past. He could never be attracted to someone like me. Never in a million years.

Among the purchases, Gloria had also bought some new undergarments as well as pajamas. I touched the smooth silky material of a blue nightgown. I knew without even trying it on that it would caress my skin when I wore it.

“Did you like the clothes?” Gloria asks me once I have changed back into my original clothes.

I gave her a hug. “Thank you they are all marvelous.”

She laughs. “It was easy shopping for you, dear. Now I best be getting back to work. I need to earn my keep somehow.” With that said, she leaves the room.

I turned to Bryce. “Thank you again. I don't know how I will ever repay you for all of this.”

“Elle, you have no need to repay me. You are not in any sort of debt to me. I do this for you because I want to.” he assures me. “Now, I have scheduled a doctor's appointment for tomorrow afternoon. It will tell you all you need to know and do when it comes to taking care of your child.”

“Bryce?”

“Yes?” he asks, taking a step closer to me.

I sigh. “Will you accompany me to the appointment? I know that I don't exactly have a reason for you to be there but-”

He cuts me off. “Of course I will come with you.”

“Really?” A large smile grows on my face.

“Really.” he says. “Now if you'll excuse me I need to get some work done.”

“All right, I'll see you at dinner.” I say.

“Until then.” I watch as he leaves the room.

I turn back to the pile of shopping bags that stood at the foot of the closet door. With nothing else to do, I decide to start hanging up all of my new clothes. The maternity clothes went in the far corner of the closet, since they would be the last to be used. Even with everything hung up, the closet still wasn't completely filled.

Once I was done I still had two hours to kill. I made my way downstairs to see if Gloria needed any help.

“Yes, Elle?” she asks, peeking her head out from the fridge.

“I was wondering if you needed any help.” I said.

“No, no, you are the guest. You aren't supposed to help with house work.”

I groan. “Please, just let me do something. I'm used to having to cook every day. Here I'm not doing anything and I just feel useless.”

“All right, will you start chopping up the potatoes?” she asks me, pointing to the pile of red potatoes on the counter.

“I can do that.”

I set to work cutting the potatoes into bite sized portions. Gloria explained to me that she would be using them for roasted potatoes that was going to serve as our side tonight. She instructed me on what all I needed to do to prepare them. They were quite simple to make. Pretty soon they were ready to be popped into one of the four ovens located in the kitchen.

“What's going on in here?” A deep voice asks joining the mix.

I turn to see Officer Quinn Krumbly standing there watching us. “Oh, hi, I'm just helping Gloria make dinner.”

“I can see that.” he says. “Do you know where Bryce is?”

“Yes, he's in his office working on some stuff.” I told him.

“Thank you,” he gives me a nod before heading that way.

“Quinn, honey!” Gloria calls out. “Will you be staying for dinner?”

You could hear his chuckles from the end of the hallway. “Yes, ma'am.”

“He's such a nice boy. Wonderful manners.” Gloria says as she stirs up a seasoning mixture. She points the spatula at me. “You need to find you a good boy like him.”

“I'm off date for a long time.” I told her, rubbing my stomach. “For a very very long time.”