Prologue

Prologue:

All my life I have always ended up in the wrong situations. When I was ten, I was under investigation because my step-father decided to hide drugs in my book bag when I went into school. When I was sixteen I found myself sitting in jail because my friend decided to rob a gas station. Seventeen was not much better. I met Landon when I was seventeen.

Landon was handsome, funny, and smart. He drew you in like a moth to the flame. At twenty-one, he made his living by singing in bars. What a beautiful voice he had too. Little did I know that this cover of his was only a cover. I started dating him two weeks after we met. For the first month everything was perfect. Only for the first month. One day at one of his gigs, he saw me talking to some random guy. That didn't sit too well with Landon.

Despite his charms, he was a monster. Every once in a while, due to his actions, I would wind up in the ER. He had everyone fooled though. No one thought that he had caused any of the damage. Not the police, not the doctors, not even my family or friends. Everyone saw him as clumsy Elle's perfect boyfriend.

“Did you pick up any more beer?” he asks, coming home from a night of poker with his friends.

“Why don't you go pick it up yourself?” I ask him. I still had two more years before I could legally go pick up his beer for him. There was no way in hell that I would get away with picking it up right now.

He growls. “You don't want me to be angry, doll. You know what happens when I'm not happy.”

“Are you forgetting that I'm nineteen, Landon? I'm barely out of high school!” I said. “I can't go pick up your alcohol.”

He shoved me back against the kitchen counter. “I said not to make me angry.”

Landon had a bit of a drinking problem. When he went out with his buddies, he tended to drink a lot. Especially when they played with poker. Poker was not Landon's game. Every time he played, he would lose big. Losing was something that Landon despised more than anything.

“I didn't mean to make you angry.” I said, trying to calm him down. “How about you go watch some TV. I'll make you a nice cup of coffee?” I gave him a peck on the lips. “Maybe after you've had some coffee, I can make the night a little better.”

He groans. “Fine.”

With that said, he went into the living room. The sound of the TV filled our tiny trailer. Landon didn't get paid very much for working in bars. During the day he worked on a construction site. I wasn't allowed to work, so there was no way for me to contribute to the income. We lived from paycheck to paycheck, due to his gambling and drinking problem.

I set to work making the coffee. Hopefully this will sober him up a bit before he has his way with me. If it didn't sober him up in time, I would have more bruises covering my body. Last time he had drunken sex with me, I couldn't move the next day- not in a good way either.

The smell of coffee filled the air. As it was brewing, I added coffee to the grocery list. I had to pick up our groceries for the week tomorrow, otherwise we wouldn't have anything to eat. So far the list was just the bare minerals. I usually went in on Fridays to pick up more stuff for our weekend dinners.