Jasper did as told, then took a stance in front of me, feet apart and arms crossed over his chest. He was showing off muscle. Not that I'd let him intimidate me. Sure, I knew he was stronger, but that didn't mean I'd back off; I wouldn't have, even if I wasn't the Alpha.

"It stops now, Jasper," I insisted.

He grinned, amused.

"What does?" He asked although it was perfectly clear he knew.

"This insubordination of yours."

He snorted and opened his mouth, but I continued:

"The way you disrespect me and mistreat everyone else in the pack, especially the Flemings family."

And your son, I added in my head, but let's take it one step at a time and leave it at Rhys' family for now.

"Sure, you'd stick to your buddies," he muttered loud enough for me to hear.

"Loyalty is something that we value in the Silver Bullets, cousin." It was my turn to smirk. "Or have you forgotten that?"

He frowned, the hands that were covering his biceps forming into fists.

"I haven't forgotten, cousin," he replied through clenched teeth. "One would think you should be loyal to your family first, then to the rest of the pack, wouldn't you say so?"

"Oh, like you are loyal to me?"

Jasper clamped his mouth shut, glaring at me.

"If you want to say something, do so," I prompted.

"You know what I want to say." His arms dropped by his sides only for him to slam a hand to his chest. "I should've become the Alpha after dad died. I!"

"And why is that?" I asked calmly.

"Why? Why?" He looked at me as if I'd just declared that two times two equalled five. "Because I'm his son!"

"The title isn't hereditary, you know that," I rebutted.

"I'm the strongest." He took a step towards me. I held my ground, my heartbeat surprisingly even.

"One of," I corrected.

"I performed better than you at the Evaluations." Another step closer.

"But the Council deemed you lacking when physical feats were not involved," I reminded him and he huffed.

"Compassion. Seriously?" He snorted again. "Of all the things my opponents had going for them, they picked you because of your compassion." He sneered at the word. "I think they mistook compassioned for being a chump."

"And how am I a chump, Jasper?" My voice was even without me forcing it to come out that way. His aim was off; I've never considered sympathising and caring for others as a shortcoming.

"Everyone and their mother can lead you on with a sappy story. Maybe that's why you are so fond of the Flemings; because they are such failures."

And now it was a battle to keep my voice even. Not because I was angry, but because I had to resist laughing in his face.

"You think they are failures?" I asked and he nodded. "Then how come you see Kennedy Flemings as your son's biggest competition for when I step down as Alpha?"

His mouth fell agape and this time I couldn't help a smug smile.

"Was I not supposed to know that?" My tone was just as jaunty as my smile. He closed his mouth and glowered. I almost giggled in response.