Not a Dream

Kimi's POV:

My heart felt like it was going to burst!  Adrenaline coursed through my veins as I gawked at the horrifying sight in front of me. 

Before me, only a few yards away, was a smashed up Sudan in the wall of an abandoned brick building.  For a moment it felt like the wind had been knocked out of me.  I'd never witnessed a car accident before, and now I knew that I never wanted to see the aftermath of one ever again.

For a few long minutes, as seagulls blasted overhead and water crashed against the edges of San Fransokyo, all I could do was stare at the accident. 

What was I supposed to do?  Investigate?  See if anyone was hurt?  The last thing I wanted to see was a bloody corpse perched awkwardly in a distorted car.

One thing was clear, however, I hadn't dreamed it.

Everything about this scenario was sickeningly real.  Nausea churned in my stomach as I continued to stare at the misfortune accident.

I had my phone.  I could call for help!  But who would I call?  What would even be the point?  I'd first have to find out if there was someone injured first.  But how could I do that?  Just tap on the door and if there was no answer then assume someone was dead?

No, I had to think reasonably.  But how?  This was literally the definition of life and death.  Reading all those thriller and mystery novels definitely did not prepare me for this situation.  But, if someone had written about this, then what would they write?  How would the main character react?  They'd probably be some courageous, charismatic boy with a yearning for death and mysteries.  But I wasn't.  Still, right then, I had to be - I had to at least try.  If nothing else.

With an unsteady breath, I shoved my hands in my pockets and approached the vehicle.  It was indented and scraped in so many different places.  It looked like an ad for an AllState commercial.  One that scares you into buying auto insurance.  let's just hope that whoever was in this case had some pretty good one.

"Hello?" I said meekly, my voice uncontrollably cracking.  I tried to force saliva down my throat as I slowly walked towards the Sudan.  "Is anyone there?  Hello?"

The lack in response only made a shiver crawl down my spine.  Was someone dead?  Was there no one at all?  Ugh!  Why did everything have to seem to frightening in real life?  

I stood next to the dark window, peering in.  I'd been bracing myself for the imagine of a twisted body or bloody something, but was scared beyond belief when I saw nothing.

No one at all.

Not a single person in the car.

My skin was rippled with goosebumps as my eyes widened.  Now this was a mystery.  I bet Agatha Christie never experienced anything to life-like like this before!