The New Awful World

The world is screwed up at the moment. It will for some time. For every adult was dead. A Bioweapon had gotten out of a government facility and infected every single person over the age of 20. It would lay dormant for a month then BAM! Instant heart attack. The disease was too clever for anyone. No man or woman could avoid it. It killed with speed and ease. Since the children of the world were immune, the virus killed itself. It was over in the time of a year. Now we,the children of this vast and frightening landscape, have to try and survive. It is the grim reality of what we now face.

We were left with some things and others nonexistent. Electricity died with lack of oil. So did cars, planes, and trains. But some things we were left we could use to our advantage. Like the revival of the passenger pigeon. With no cell towers or electricity, we could still make charcoal and paper. We could use the pigeons to communicate. Another was guns. Guns were our life, for they gave us territories and nations

The nation's were an odd system. Completely unique to the old United States and Canada. It was a system of groups of these children who would claim land and set up their nation. Most were named after animals and plants, easy for others to remember.

They each had their own governments too. Some more peaceful and democratic like the oak nation out in the Catskills. They were gone in about 3 months. Or more aristocratic like the Lynx nation in the Rockies. Everyone believes they died in a blizzard about a year after them forming. Some could be republican, like the Bear nation in what was once New Mexico. They are still alive and strong. Then there were the militaristic nations. These were around the longest. Wolf was the largest and most advanced out of every one. Their territory spanned from Los Angeles all the way to San Francisco and then to the Sierra Nevada. then they had colonies. Vancouver and the Tetons.

We knew nothing of Europe or Asia or any other continent. The pigeons couldn't fly that far and our boats weren't in the conditions for far out to sea. We knew they couldn't help us or we would have seen planes or boats of theirs. All we knew of the world was from the nations. It was a fact of life now. But our biggest problem was resources

Resources were the source of a militaristic system. Fighting for the soil were we could grow some crops. Metal could cause a war because we could not make it. Plastics too. Weapons were very valuable. A pocket knife could the best weapons on the battle field at some point. Some were made into bayonets. Ammo was very important to us. 1 shotgun shell could mean the difference between win or lose in a battle.

The world was pretty screwed up. More than anyone could imagine in the past.