Chapter 1: The Guy in the Cat Suit

You breathed deeply, inhaling the smell of freshly baked croissants. After months of preparation you were finally in Paris for your student exchange. It'd be strange to be away from everything you knew, but you hoped it'd be worth it. Eyes darting to the bakery at your side, you contemplated buying something, but quickly dismissed the idea. You couldn't be late for your first day at the Arts and Design University.

Making your way through the front gate, you admired the sculptures that decorated the vast garden ahead of you. Some modern, some classical, it was a nice atmosphere. And since it was summer, many students were laying around on the grass, some drawing, others chatting and smoking. Readjusting your backpack, you headed for the main building.

Your mouth opened in wonder as you walked inside. The place was gorgeous: the old architecture elements side by side with modern furniture, creating a beautiful combination. You were so engrossed by it that you almost jumped when someone touched your arm.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you." A girl said, retreating her hand quickly. "Are you one of the new exchange students?" She had short, black hair and her blue eyes were kind as she smiled at you.

You nodded and she extended her hand. "Nice to meet you, I'm Marinette."

After you said your name and from where you were from, Marinette began showing you around the campus, since she was one of the responsible for welcoming the new exchange students. And she was really good at it; answering all your questions and making you feel less nervous about being in a completely new place all by yourself. Her cheerfulness was contagious.

You were now laughing at her comment about a modern sculpture as you both walked in front of the design building when someone shouted her name. Turning around you saw a girl walking in your direction. She had reddish-brown hair and black glasses that matched the headphones around her neck.

"Hey Mari, found a new student already?" The girl said to Marinette as she got close.

Marinette smiled and introduced you to the girl. "This is my best friend, Alya. She studies Design and Multimedia."

"Nice to meet you and welcome to Paris!" Alya said shaking your hand.

"Thank you." You said, chuckling as she was still shaking your hand.

Marinette then looked at her watch and gasped. "Wow, it's almost lunch time! Why don't we go to the cafeteria for lunch?"

You quickly agree, your stomach more than ready for a bit of food.

At the cafeteria, the three of you sat in one of the tables after getting your meals. The place was full of students, all chatting between themselves.

"Oh, look who's there." Alya said, a mischievous smile on her face as she pointed to a table with her head. You looked to where she was pointing and saw a blonde boy talking with his friends. "Isn't he cute, Marinette?" She put her hand under her chin and batted her eyelashes at her friend.

Marinette rolled her eyes. "You're never letting this go, are you?" She huffed. "That was years ago."

You had no idea what was going on as you looked at them. Alya saw your expression of complete loss and laughed. "She used to have a huge crush on him, right Mari?" She nudged her friend, who only looked to the side, annoyed. "But now she only has eyes to those Japanese boys of her."

"They're Koreans, Alya." Marinette sighed like she had said this many, many times.

Alya laughed once again and put an arm over her friend's shoulders. "C'mon, don't be like that! I'm just teasing you."