Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Krista looked up to see a handful of sand being thrown into her face.

She could feel the small grains stinging her eyes, the small training room turning blurry as water flowed down her cheeks.

Wiping away the salty water with the back of her hand, Krista stumbled to her feet and back into position as she heard the swish of a wooden sword narrowly miss her left ear.

At least inside Krista didn't have to worry about the sun blinding her as she dived forward into the sand, ducking under another blow from her opponent.

"Good!" A voice barked from somewhere in the background but Krista wasn't paying close attention as she rose up onto one knee and flew her sword up into the air behind her head to stop another blow from striking her in the back.

Pushing her opponent's blade away she took the few moments reprieve to jump to her feet and spin around to face her adversary.

Her vision was becoming clearer, allowing her once again to see the scar ridden face of her opponent, Leonidas.

The appearance of so many scars, both healed and new, made everyone pause in their step as they mentally considered the amount of violence this man had been through.

He was missing half of his right eyebrow and if one were to look closely they could see the slight indent in his lower lip as the skin was stretched downwards, and yet they still held a permanent smirk to them.

Despite this, Krista had learnt that he was something of a commodity to the women, and the men, in the Ludus Magnus gladiator school.

And Krista was starting to learn why.

For nearly the entirety of their time training together, Krista had been on the defensive.

A small group of trainers and judges had appeared in the narrow doorway, watching Krista carefully.

Knowing that this match was important, Krista felt it was time to reverse the tables and make Leonidas the one on the defensive.

After blocking various strikes to her body, Leonidas was driving her backwards into a corner but Krista had a different plan.

Hitting off one final blow from Leonidas, Krista spun to face the wall and ran through the thick layer of sand beneath her feet.

Kicking sand up behind her into Leonidas, Krista planted her right foot onto the small ledge that ran around the room, and pushed herself into the air.

Using her momentum in her favour, Krista pressed her left foot flat against the wall.

Her body was now parallel with the floor as it appeared as if she was running along the wall.

But she had barely taken two steps before she twisted in the air and dove over the top of Leonidas's head, her flat wooden sword hitting his back.

The sound of wood against flesh rang out across the room as she made one final flip in mid-air, before landing firmly back on her feet facing Leonidas, who now harboured a large red welt across his back.

If it had been a real sword, Krista would have feared for his survival.

Krista allowed herself a small smile as Leonidas stayed staring at the wall for a moment before he turned and sensed his defeat.

Krista levelled her sword at his neck.

* * *

Krista held her jaw delicately in her palm.