Year 1// Underneath Hogwarts

(2240 words)

THUMP.

You landed next to Hermione on something soft — like a plant.

"What's this stuff?" Ron said with a disgusted look on his face.

"Dunno, some sort of plant thing. I suppose it's here to break the fall." Harry shrugged.

"We must be miles under the school," you said looking around.

"Lucky this plant thing's here, really," said Ron.

"Lucky!" shrieked Hermione. "Look at you three!"

She leapt up and struggled toward a damp wall. She had to struggle because the moment she had landed, the plant had started to twist snakelike tendrils around her ankles. As for Harry, Ron and yourself, your legs had already been bound tightly in long creepers without you noticing.

Hermione had managed to free herself before the plant got a firm grip on her. Now she watched in horror as you and the two boys fought to pull the plant off of yourselves, but the more you strained against it, the tighter and faster the plant wound around you.

"Stop moving!" Hermione ordered you. "I know what this is — it's —"

"Devil's Snare!" you said with a wide grin.

"Oh, I'm so glad we know what it's called, that's a great help," snarled Ron, leaning back, trying to stop the plant from curling around his neck.

"Shut up! I'm trying to remember how to kill it!" said Hermione.

"Well, hurry up, I can't breathe!" Harry gasped, wrestling with it as it curled around his chest.

"Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare... what did Professor Sprout say?" you thought.

"It likes the dark and the damp," Hermione remembered.

"So light a fire!" Harry choked.

"Yes — of course — but there's no wood!" Hermione cried, wringing her hands.

"HAVE YOU GONE MAD?" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?"

"Oh, right!" said Hermione, and she whipped out her wand, waved it, muttered the Incendio charm you were so well-accustomed to, and sent a jet of the same bluebell flames you had used on Snape at the plant. In a matter of seconds, the three of you felt it loosening its grip as it cringed away from the light and warmth. Wriggling and flailing, it unravelled itself from your bodies, and you were able to pull free.

"Lucky you guys pay attention in Herbology," Harry said to you and Hermione as you, him and Ron joined her (Hermione) by the wall.

"Yeah," said Ron, "and lucky Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis — 'there's no wood,' honestly." You chuckled to yourself.

"This way," you said, pointing down a stone passageway, which seemed to be the only way forward.

All you could hear apart from your footsteps was the gentle drip of water trickling down the walls.

"Can you hear something?" Ron whispered to Harry.

You listened carefully, your ears perking ever so slightly up. A soft rustling and clinking seemed to be coming from up ahead.

"Do you think it's a ghost?" you asked. It sounded a lot like when the Fat Friar swept past the Hufflepuff table from time to time.

"I don't know... sounds like wings to me." Harry said.

"There's light ahead — I can see something moving." Hermione pointed.

You reached the end of the passageway and saw before you a brilliantly lit chamber, its ceiling arching high above the four of you. It was full of small, jewel-bright birds, fluttering and tumbling all around the room. On the opposite side of the chamber was a heavy wooden door.