Year 1// Norbert

(2045 words)

"Hermione, the exams are ages away." you sighed as you sat at the Gryffindor table during lunch.

"Ten weeks," Hermione snapped. "That's not ages, that's like a second to Nicolas Flamel."

"But we're not six hundred years old," Ron reminded her. "Anyway, what are you studying for? You already know it."

"What am I studying for? Are you crazy? You realise we need to pass these exams to get into the second year? They're very important, I should have started studying a month ago, I don't know what's gotten into me..."

You laughed a little, and Hermione glared at you. "What are you laughing about?"

"It's just that, well, Ron's right — you know your stuff, you don't need to study."

"If we're using that logic, then all three of you need to study! You haven't been paying attention in any of your lessons!" Hermione huffed.

"Um, excuse me? I pay attention!" you protested.

"Not in Transfiguration you don't! I've seen you sending notes in class; I don't know how McGonagall hasn't seen you already!"

"Well you're not in half of my classes anyway, so you wouldn't know if I pay attention or not!"

"Exactly! So you could be lying!" Hermione said. There was just no arguing with her.

Whilst the teachers all seemed to be along the same lines as Hermione and gave you huge piles of homework, Harry kept explaining that Snape was threatening Quirrel for information on how to get past Fluffy. Quirrel did seem to be getting paler and thinner, but it didn't look as though he'd cracked yet, which was good news.

The Easter holidays went in the blink of an eye. You had so much homework and revision to do, you just didn't have enough time to actually spend with yourself.

One afternoon, you were at the library with Harry, Ron and Hermione. It was a shame that you were friends with Hermione, because the day was so nice — clear blue skies and all - and she forced the three of you to study indoors.

"I'll never remember this," Ron burst out, throwing down his quill and looking longingly out of the library window. You couldn't blame him — the weather was really nice.

Harry, who was looking up "Dittany" in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, didn't look up until he heard Ron say, "Hagrid! What are you doing in the library?"

You looked up from your notes and saw Hagrid standing in front of you, hiding something behind his back. He looked very out of place in his moleskin overcoat.

"Jus' lookin'," he said, in a shifty voice. "An' what're you lot up ter?" He looked suddenly suspicious. "Yer not still lookin' fer Nicolas Flamel, are yeh?"

"Oh, we found out who he is ages ago," said Ron impressively. "And we know what that dog's guarding, it's the Philosopher's St -"

"Shhhh!" Hagrid looked around quickly to see if anyone was listening. "Don' go shoutin' about it, what's the matter with yeh?"

"There are a few things we wanted to ask you, as a matter of fact," said Harry, "about what's guarding the Stone apart from Fluffy —"

"SHHHH!" said Hagrid again. "Listen - come an' see me later, I'm not promisin' I'll tell yeh anythin', mind, but don' go rabbitin' about it in here, students aren' s'pposed ter know. They'll think I've told yeh —"

"See you later, then," said Harry.

Hagrid shuffled off.

"What was he hiding behind his back?" said Hermione thoughtfully.