VII. In the midst of it all

╔═════ ∘◦ ✾ ◦∘ ══════╗in the midst of it all !╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

in the midst of it all !
╚═════ ∘◦ ❈ ◦∘ ══════╝

" You sent a man to space ?Huh- well you can't just leave him there, what would he eat?" Exclaimed Hank Marlow in disbelief.

Wendy tightened a rope over the boat's generator- she was impressed that Hank was able to construct all of this from the spare parts of a broken plane-

" I guess desperate times calls for desperate measures."

" So you're saying, that the gorilla that attacked us, is called Kong, and he's the ruler of this island ?" Wendy asked.

" You're right missy, Kong's a pretty good king. Keeps to himself, mostly. But you don't go into someone's house and start dropping bombs, unless you're picking a fight."

" Again, we're sorry for that," Houston repeated.

" If Kong's the good guy, the bad guys are these truck-sized lizards that eats people?" Wendy still couldn't process the fact that, deep underground dwelled things far worse than Kong.

" The Skull Crawlers don't eat people, they eat everything. Trust me, I've been here for 28 years- and those creepy crawlers won't hesitate to gobble you up. If it wasn't for the Iwis, I wouldn't been their breakfast!"

She was grateful that the Iwis were kind enough to let them stay- not long ago their spears were right under her neck.

" Oh that's reassuring," Mason retorted, repairing one of the Ship's engines with Slivko.

Wendy struggled in lifting one of the generator's piece - the cooling system, or at least, one of the busted scrap parts of the plane that was supposed to act as one.

" C'mon Wendy, prove to yourself that all those time you spent running around the halls of the hospital carrying paperwork and generators wasn't all for nothing - you got some muscle in you."

Sadly, after three attempts, the piece didn't budge an inch- all it did was make her fingers sore.

" Need a hand?"

Standing behind her was James, stained with grease and oil. He had a hammer in one hand, and he was slightly panting - maybe because he spent the last two hours fixing four different parts of the boat all by himself.

" No I'm fine," she lied," You seemed worn out, you should go and take a break."

" Not until you let me help you," he insisted.

Wendy hesitated, not wanting to bother him more than she already had.She doesn't want to seem too dependent on him.

" Please, it's not that I underestimate your abilities, I just want to help."

She gave up, and stepped aside to allow him to help.

He walked past her to kneel down and lift the cooler, Wendy went to the other side, sliding her fingers under to share the weight. The metal box lifted, and they both hauled it onto the other side of the boat.

When it touched the floor, Wendy sighed in exhaustion ," That thing was heavy."

" It was," James laughed, out of breath as well," More than I expected. Thank you."

" I should be the one saying thank you," she smiled.

" And I should be the one to say,' get a room '," Snarked Slivko, while Mason grinned at them with San.

Her cheeks tinted pink, and James instantly rubbed his neck and look away- a gesture he does when he is shy, as Wendy had observed.

- and she could certainly say, that James Conrad is adorable when he's shy.

-

Nightfall on Skull Island was more frightening that she imagined, she could hear the buzzing of insects echoing through the jungle- with a sound that loud , the insects must've been the size of houses.

" You should really take a picture of that, " Wendy pointed at the lights glinting across the blanket of stars, the blue and green glow created a spectacular contrast against the pitch dark sky.

" I'm trying to but the lighting on my camera must've broke."

" Here, try this," James passed her a lighter, and she gladly took it and engrossed herself into taking multiple pictures of the scenery.

" You're a real army man," Wendy looked at his lighter, it has carvings of the British army against its silver half.

" It was my father's."

He told her, on how he never stopped waiting for his father to come home -"You'll be surprised on how long people wait."

She couldn't say anything - afraid that it might offend or hurt him, she could only give him a reassuring smile.

They lingered outside for a few moments, Mason bid them goodnight - and she gave a secret thumbs up to Wendy , which she returned with an eye roll.

Only the two of them were awake, gazing the lights in silence.

She scooted her fingers closer to his, and like a magnetic pull, his fingers slowly inched closer to hers.Yet no words were spoken, and none were needed.

He tenderly wrapped his fingers around hers - and at that moment , Wendy was able to find a moment of solace and tranquility - on an island where 3/4 of its population wants to kill her.

------

A/N : Hi guys ! This is a pretty long Chapter , I hope you like it !

Remember ! ; reviews and comments are always welcome! I'll be happy to read your suggestions and thoughts about the story :)

This chapter is dedicated to all of you who have supported me, thank you all !

PS ; I changed the cover , but please don't get confused :)