Chapter 1 Alexa

I walk up the stairs of the in my red dress with my brown hair blowing in the wind behind me. Gripping my coat closer to my body protecting myself from the cold New York evening.

"I can see you walking up the stairs, nod once if you can hear me." the disembodied voice rings clear through my ear piece.

Nodding once I walking through the doors greeted by the smell of expensive perfumes and colognes, soft classical music playing in the background.

Veronica Pierce your name is Veronica Pierce, twenty-three, heiress to Pierce Oil. I remind myself. Sliding my black tailored coat off handing it to the concierge, "Name please," he says.

"Veronica Pierce." He gives me a smile opening the door.

The gallery is filling up with wealthy people fighting to show off their wealth, glasses of Champagne clinking against one another. Taking a glass off the tray of the waiter next to me I notice a man with green eyes looking around suspiciously.

Trying to get a better read on green eyes I walk him and converse with the people near him, observing him out of the corner of my eye. Feedback runs through my ear piece making me grind me teeth, trying to ease the pain and stay in character I look for a quick exit, excusing myself I rush to the restroom ripping it out of my ear I call Lola.

"What the hell was that?" I whisper-shouted.

"Feedback what else, someone else is on a high frequency like we are. You need to get the painting and get out of there."

"Can you figure out who else is here? Or am I alone."

" I have no clue, it would take me too long to even try to hack into their ear pieces. Listen just be careful. Please."

"Don't underestimate me. I've never gotten caught before and won't now."

"Alright, Alexa oops I mean Veronica stay in character, and put your com back in, talking on the phone is." Her voice is drowned out by the sudden sound of three women gossiping about others as they walked into the bathroom.

Hanging up on Lola, I pass them unnoticed, slipping my com back in I focus my energy on getting the artwork hidden in the basement.

"To your left is the hallway you need to go down," Lola states, "I don't know how long these will work so you might be on your own for a while."

"I've got this, we weren't always a team remember." That silenced her. I walked through the hallway checking my black clutch to make sure I had everything I needed.

Security around the room was high, turning around I had to quickly think of another plan. Good for me I knew this building like the back of my hand, it being my favorite place to steal from. Walking into the janitors closet I quietly closed the wooden door behind me, chemicals evading my senses, turning on the light I take out my screwdriver to take off the cover of the vent. Taking off my dress knowing my black jumpsuit is under it. Pulling the top of the jumpsuit over my shoulders, I grab my tools and place them in the pocket connected to my thigh. Climbing the metal storage unit I shimmy into the AC unit.

 Once I am at the opening for the room I peek through the cracks in the metal covering, seeing nobody in the room I take the covering off. Knowing that nobody is stupid enough to leave so many priceless masterpieces unprotected I check for cameras, heat sensors, and lasers. Seeing none I get ready to jump down from the AC unit stopping as I hear loud talking outside of the door. Covering the unity back up I see three men walk in, green eyes is among them. The blond man in the front, obviously the leader, walks ahead. Noticing he only steps on the black tiles on the black and white checkered floor.

"Where is she?" the blonde man asks looking back to green eyes and his accomplice.

"Mr.Leighton we have enough evidence to believe that AX will be here tonight if she isn't already." Green eyes replies to who I now know to be Mr.Leighton.

Angrily Mr.Leighton storms out of the room followed by green eyes and his accomplice.

Knowing that they have evidence on my they must be some sort of agency, seeing as the police gave up long ago.

I'll have to wait them out. It's too risky with agency men waiting on the other side of the door. Screwing the cover back in I make a mental note to walk only on the black tiles when I make my move. I text Lola asking her if she can tell me how many guards are outside the door.

Within seconds I get a reply "5". I've dealt with more. Taking the cover off I slide down the side of the wall making sure to step on a black tile. My heel touches the floor and I'm off grabbing the painting I needed. Working quickly has always been my specialty, finishing the job in less than a minute I leave my signature behind, AX written on a wall in red lipstick.

I make it back to the janitors closet, landing on the floor with the only sound being the click of my heels on the floor turning around to cover the AC unit again. Pulling the top of my jumpsuit down I slip my dress back on. 

"Lola, I've got it. Wait at the side entrance for me."

"Got it. But you've got to hurry they have a guard checked on the painting and saw your signature."

"Wow, didn't expect them to be that fast."

Quickly leaving the janitors closet I walked by into the event. More people had arrived and the loudness of all of their voices was driving me crazy, pushing my way through the crowd I walked back to the concierge, "Veronica Pierce" I say, he hands me my coat. I put it on trying to not draw anymore attention to myself.

"I'm waiting for you but you need to hurry," the disembodied voice yelled through the ear piece, "you have three agents coming your way."

"Thanks, Lola." I take off down the steps my heart racing from the thrill of night.

"AX is in there guys nobody goes in or out I want him found." Green eyes says walking right past me into the gallery.

Seeing the limo that we used as a cover parked by the road I opened the door and climbed in.

"Mission accomplished." I say with smirk on my face. Turning to Lola, "Could you find out who the green eyed man is for me?"

"Why you have a crush?" She asks smugly. 

"No. He is cute, but I can't fight back if I don't know who I am fighting can I."

We take off down the road, into the night. Green eyes on my mind. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone. Let me know what you think down below and feel free to correct any mistakes.