four.

3:01
home
— johnny

group chat
[ten]: guys
[ten]: practice time

[winwin]: !

[taeyong]: give me a second, ive just gotta finish up making food. i'll join halfway

[ten]: deal.

johnny hadn't exactly been expecting his chat to suddenly become active at 3am, but it does. he almost jumps out of his skin when his phone buzzes the first time, but he rolls over and checks it, since he's unable to sleep right now after all.

[johnny]: i thought practice was at 3?

[ten]: it is 3?

[johnny]: oh yeah i guess it is

he'd expected practice to be at three in the afternoon, not three in the morning, but he supposes this is fine too. he rolls out of bed, stops by his door to make sure everyone else is in bed, and then heads over to his computer.

as soon as he's booted overwatch up, he's greeted with an invite to ten's game. he accepts.

it's a pretty normal, six vs six game – ten, donghyuck, winwin, taeil and two random other players on one team, and johnny, yuta, doyoung and three other players on the other. their games are quick, easy, and he learns how the team play pretty well. in their second game, taeyong joins johnny's team, stating in the chat that he's done making his food and is ready to practice.

during their third, and final, game, johnny gets shot down by widowmaker once, twice, a third time. it's ten, of course. alright. if he wants to play this game of hide-and-seek, then let him.

the remainder of the game plays much like how their first game together did – ten being a sneaky little shit and trying his best to annoy johnny, and johnny hunting him down to get revenge. the others don't seem too happy about it.

game chat
[yakiyuta]: will you two stop omg
[tendollar]: ;) ;) ;) ;)
[yakiyuta]: wtf

johnny snorts at his screen as the messages pop up, covering his mouth quickly afterwards. he doesn't want to wake the rest of his family up anyway – his sister and parents deserve the sleep. but still, the chat between them is cute – he likes the way they interact with each other. they're close, even for internet friends, and the notion makes johnny pretty happy.

but it all draws to a close too soon. the third, and final, game is won by ten's team, though johnny gets commended the most because of the amount of rocket damage done. his skype chat pops up, and johnny checks it immediately. he doesn't know why but he feels some sort of weird excitement about talking to ten and the rest of the team.

private chat [ten + johnny]
[ten]: gg! :)
[ten]: taeyong is rlly cross about us messing about together but i think its worth it <3

[johnny]: sjdjdjjs
[johnny]: was fun though

[ten]: yeah!!

there's a long pause before ten messages him again. johnny finds himself staring at the chat box as he waits for the response. maybe it's because he's tired. maybe it's something else. he doesn't know.

[ten]: johnny
[ten]: where do you live? i never asked

[johnny]: chicago, still
[johnny]: why?

another pause. johnny doesn't know why but he's anxious, staring at ten's icon in the chat. he taps his fingers anxiously against the keyboard as he waits.

[ten]: isn't it really late for you then?

[johnny]: yeah, it's just turning 4am.
[johnny]: it's ok, im not tired

[ten]: johnny :(
[ten]: please go to bed
[ten]: sleep is important + aren't you still in school?

johnny doesn't know why but the little sad face makes his heart ache. he pulls a face at the screen, taps his fingertips against the keyboard again, the clicking sound soothing him before he finally replies.

[ten]: johnny?

[johnny]: yeah, okay. i'll go to bed.

[ten]: <3
[ten]: thank you. night johnny!!

[johnny]: yeah. night

johnny sighs, turns off his computer, and stretches out. he's still in his pyjamas from earlier so getting into bed takes no time, and he makes sure to leave his phone on his bedside table instead of beside his pillow so it won't be so much of a distraction.

he gets about two hours of sleep before his alarm goes off and he has to get up to go to college.