Prologue

Prologue

"Look honey as long as we keep her here we can use her as ransom for Adriana's real parents," my grandparents said. It didn't make sense Adriana was my mother their daughter.

"But Paul what if she finds out she'll hate us," grandmama said.

"Honey who cares we'll be rich. Adriana's parents couldn't have another child so if we give them their grandchild we'll be rich," grandpa laughed.

They weren't my real grandparents. They were just using me. I felt tears build up in my eyes.

Grabbing my shell bag I packed away all my important things. My photo album of me and my mom with the secret page containing my daddy. Daddy's picture was a secret because daddy was a human and mommy had met him in her human form. I also packed my merlocket that song me to sleep every night and my globe of Aradien the mercapital where the king and queen lived.

I hide my pack under my bed and pretended to be asleep until my fake grandparents were sound asleep. Once I was certain they were asleep I grabbed my shell bag and swam out my window. I didn't know exactly where I was going, but I knew finding out where Ocean View High on the surface was, would bring me one step closer to finding daddy.

I swam for miles until I was at a place no one would know me and stopped a pink dolphin who was swimming past me.

"Excuse me, but do you know the way to Ocean View High on the surface. My mommy told me that that was the easiest landmark to pinpoint on finding our house, but I got lost," I lied.

"Of course sweetie," he said. "It's just about half a days journey from here. If you swim close to the surface and follow the road you will see straight it will lead you right there."

"Thank you. Mr. Dolphin," I said before swimming off.

Swimming to the surface I found out I was near a coral bay. Seeing the road the dolphin had talked about I swam straight following the road until I saw a huge building. I was certain it was Ocean View.

Making sure there were no humans in sight I swam up to a rock near the beach and transformed into my human form. Mommy had told me that only special mermaids could transform into humans and that I had to keep it a secret and that I would only become a mermaid once again if I was in the ocean or willed myself to.

I got up off of the rock and was happy to see that I had human clothes on although I didn't have any shoes. It looked like it was early in the morning and people were starting to come towards the school.

I loved the feeling of walking it was almost as fun as swimming everywhere. Deciding I could just show the picture of daddy around to find him I walked towards the school.

"Excuse me," I said to a tall human female who had crazy red hair.

"Go away kid," she barked at me.

I ran off. Maybe the school isn't the best place to ask. I decided that I'd just go to a cafe and get something to eat I was starving. Luckily mommy had left me money that could be used in the human world as well or else I'd be in trouble. I walked for about ten minutes until I found a cute little shop named Blue Wonders.

Walking in I was caught in the yummy smells of human food. I wasn't paying attention though and I walked right into somebody. Thankfully for me he was really nice or I could have been hurt because he caught me as I was about to fall. Looking up I was about to thank him, but instead I yelled, "Daddy."

Everyone in the shop turned around to look at us then. It was really daddy he looked exactly like the picture of him and mommy.

"Look little one I think your mistaken," daddy tried to tell me.

"No I'm not. Mommy showed me your picture lots of times. But mommy died last year," I said sadly.

"Look sweetheart I'm not your daddy," he tried again.

"But you look exactly like daddy. See," I said on the verge of tears taking out the picture and giving it to him.

"Adriana. How did you get this picture?"

"Mommy gave it to me before she died. She said it was a picture of her and daddy."

He looked at me shocked. Maybe mommy never told him about me. The next thing I know I was pulled into a big bear hug and daddy was crying.

"It's okay daddy," I said.

He just cried even more. Daddy and I could finally be together.