Chapter 10: Go

I'm absolutely terrified, to say the least.

Mayhem whips open the kitchen door and we all pile in, shutting it and shoving as much stuff in front of it as possible. I can hear the stopping and yelling out in the dinning hall and I try to block it out the best I can.

"Now what?" One of the kids asks, heaving and leaning on the structure of moved objects.

"Find an exit?" Another offers.

"Well we certainly can't wait it out," Riot says, looking at the door. "This won't hold it forever."

"What is is anyway?" The youngest of the group asks. He looks like a second year kid.

"A challenge. The Ram to be specific," she snarls.

"Okay, so we know what it is, but does anyone actually know a way out of here? She did just say there's no way we can just wait in here," Riley says, grabbing hold of Riot's arm. I hadn't noticed she was getting into a fighting stance.

We all looked around shaking our heads.

"Then we find one, and fast," Riley says and we all split.

Mayhem follows me as I head straight to the left, into an area that's less lit than the others.

"This is two Challenges in less than twenty four hours, May. What's going on?" I ask when I know nobody will be able to hear. "And the weird thing with both you and your sister? What are you holding out from me?"

Mayhem sighs. "Look, I don't know why there's two Challenges running loose, I swear. I also don't know what really happened with Riot the other night, I just know that my dad heard about it and wanted to make sure that everything's going smoothly. Our parents have put a lot of money and support into this School."

I can see it in his eyes that he's holding something out from me and I nearly slap myself as I remember the unspoken rules.

I'm such an idiot.

"I don't know why they'd do that, but okay. You think there's really a door back here?" I ask, trying to keep a steady conversation going. It's reassuring.

"I hope so, I really don't fancy being screwed over in here," Mayhem answers, moving a rack to look behind it.

"At least there's food if we do get stuck and the Ram can't get in," I say, almost jokingly.

"Very true, very true. Although canned vegetables isn't much of a last meal," Mayhem says back.

I laugh and move a curtain with no luck.

"Hey! Guys!" One of the kids shouts. Mayhem and I look at each other before jogging over.

Low and behold, there's a door.

We wait for the last few kids before prying it open. It squeaks and squeaks but opens enough that we'll all be able to squeeze through before getting stuck.

"Nice job," Mayhem says and pats the kids shoulder. "You first, you found it."

The kid beams at him and slips through the crack. We wait a bit in anticipation before a hand shoots through the crack with a thumb up.

"It's clear!"

We squeeze out one by one. I look around realizing we're in a garden. Well, it's more of a forest covered in fruits.

"Why do we have canned food if we have this?" a girl asks, spinning like we all are, looking at it in amazement.

"I have no idea," I answer. "I didn't even knew this existed."