11-The Unexpected Duel

After the incident on Christmas Day, the seven friends kept a close eye on the Daily Prophet for any signs of smuggling of magical creatures, but by January, nothing had came up.

On the other hand, exam fever was hotting up, but so was the Animagus Process. The days were ticking down, and a potion was now being brewed by Samantha and Remus in the unused girls' bathroom once again.

On one occasion, when Remus ran into Transfiguration ten minutes late smelling slightly of asphodel root, Halley, who was sitting next to him at the time, was sure that Professor McGonagall, the strict Scottish witch in charge of the subject, smelled a rat, so to speak. She scribbled a quick note on some spare parchment and passed it to James and Sirius sitting behind, as McGonagall was explaining to them all how to successfully transfigure a baby rabbit into a teacup.

Sirius opened the note Halley passed him and read it.

guys,
I think minnie g is suspicious of remus being so late. he also stinks of potion ingredients...distraction needed.
~h

After showing it to James, Sirius added a swift 'we're game' to the bottom of the note and passed it across to Samantha and Peter, who read it quickly, nodded, and passed it diagonally from them to Sephy, who had been separated already in that lesson for misbehaviour.

Sephy read the note, and beamed. While McGonagall's back was turned, she scribbled her reply quickly before passing it back.

When Halley's note arrived back to her, it looked a little like this.

guys,
I think minnie g is suspicious of remus being so late. he also stinks of potion ingredients...distraction needed.
~h

we're game
J&S

I HAVE DUNGBOMBS AT THE READY JUST SAY WHEN!!! $¢

Courtesy of me from Xmas. Just saying... ;) Sam.

oh yes. we are so ready for this. on you, Hal.
J&S

Halley smirked, pocketed the note, and put her hand up to help McGonagall dish out the rabbits. As she passed Sephy to walk up to the teacher's desk, she felt the familiar thud-thud-thud of three Dungbombs getting dropped into her left robe pocket. As she walked back with a basket of bunnies in hand, she felt another thud-thud-thud as three more were dropped in her other pocket. Sirius sneaked two out of Halley's pocket as she landed him with a grumpy-looking white rabbit, and as James claimed a rather energetic tan bunny Sirius passed another two from Halley's pocket across to him.

Halley then moved across to Peter and Samantha, and it was there that things went wrong. Peter, being the closest to Halley, ducked into her pocket to collect the Dungbombs, but in his excitement knocked one free. It fell onto the classroom floor with a 'foosh' sort of sound, and, without bursting, rolled right to the feet of Professor McGonagall.

The prim witch looked from Halley to the Dungbombs at her feet. Sirius made a slit-throat motion at Peter from behind the Professor's back.

There was an awkward silence.

"Dungbombs, Miss Derwent?" McGonagall asked curtly. Halley regarded her blithely.

"They're apples, Professor" she replied.

With a raised eyebrow, McGonagall picked up the offending item, and studied it.