Part 5

Chris sighed as he stood in front of the mirror, straightening his uniform jacket. The gesture pinged his heart as he remembered doing the same thing before losing...her.

"Still thinking about her?" came his mother's voice from the doorway to his bedroom.

He performed a smart about-face and grimaced. "I don't understand it, Mom. I only saw her for a moment..."

Grace walked into her son's room and smiled gently. "We don't always understand why things happen, but they always happen for a reason."

"I'm at a loss as to how to find her," he said in a low voice.

She tilted her head and gave him a warm smile. "Honey, if it's meant to be, you'll find her. At the most unexpected time, you'll find her."

Chris shook his head. "You're such a romantic."

Grace laughed. "How could I not be? It's how I met your father." The pain in her eyes at his mention wasn't as poignant as it used to be, but Chris could still see the loss in her expression.

Chris ached for the loss of his father as well and he reached for his mom and hugged her. "I'm sorry I have to leave so soon."

She leaned back and looked up at him. "Don't apologize, son. Duty calls. I've had you home for almost two months and have enjoyed every moment."

"I feel bad, leaving you."

"Bah," she swatted at his chest. "I have friends. And Richard and Kathy will look after me as they always have. I'll be fine." She tilted her head. "I'm glad we have this last night before you go off to become an even better soldier."

"You know I'm only going to this tonight because I love you?" Chris remarked with a wry smile. "I hate these things."

Grace laughed. "But you love the ballerinas."

"These are students. Not the professionals. They're too young to have any fun with."

"Ah, but you'll be admired and ogled over. You love that. And by the time you get back, they'll be all grown up."

Chris rolled his eyes, but couldn't deny it.

A glint appeared in his mother's eye and Chris narrowed his eyes suspiciously. "What?"

She raised her eyebrows and turned to walk away. "Nothing. Nothing at all."

*****

Sabrina smoothed her pink chiffon dress as she waited to board the small cruise ship where the students of the summer dance program were celebrating the end of the session. It had been a long, but wonderful five weeks and the celebration was bittersweet. She'd loved every moment of being here, but was homesick and couldn't wait to get home.

She felt as if she'd proven her dancing skills here at the professional company school and could return home confident in a future of dancing, especially since she'd been invited to join the pre-professional program here in Boston. They'd even offered her a hefty scholarship to sweeten the deal, but Sabrina didn't want to move away from home yet. She'd talked it over with her parents, who'd been so encouraging. They wanted her to be happy, but she wasn't ready to be on her own. Sabrina suspected they were grateful for her decision.

Martin Pierce, the artistic director of the company, had even spoken to her about joining the program but understood her reluctance. He assured her that the position would be available whenever she was ready. That he didn't want some other dance company snatching her up.

The memory made her smile. It was nice to be wanted by a professional company at her age, and Martin made her feel so comfortable, she decided that Boston would be her first choice after she graduated high school.

Beth grabbed her hand and pulled Sabrina up the gangplank to the awaiting ship. "C'mon, I'm starving!"

Sabrina followed her friend onto the pristine ship that glowed a golden yellow in the setting sunlight. She didn't know many of the attendees by name, aside from the girls that she'd spent the last few weeks with, and a handful of the older boys. The adults all wore tuxedos and elegant dresses and smiled at them as they passed by. These were the donors to the ballet company and school. Some of them had donated to the scholarship fund that had allowed Sabrina to attend and she was eternally grateful for the opportunity. She wished she could hug each and every one of them and thank them.

Beth and Sabrina found their seats at one of the many round tables and looked around at the people and out the windows towards Boston Harbor. Many of the other students stood around socializing, but Sabrina preferred staying on the sidelines and watching. Couple after couple descended the staircase in the middle of the deck and she loved gazing at the elegant women with their pearls and diamonds. How wonderful to be able to wear such glamorous clothing. Her pink dress was elegant but simple, and she had no sparkling jewelry to wear, like many of the other dancers. But she was content with what she had. Her mother had helped her pick out the dress and she felt like a princess in it, in spite of the simplicity of the cut.

She'd been looking out the window when something told her to look back and her breath caught in her throat when she did.

It was him: Christopher Ralston wearing his uniform as before, but carrying a white cap and wearing white gloves. At his side, with her arm hooked through his, stood his mother, wearing a simple, yet elegant silver-gray gown. She looked like a dancer herself, with her dark hair up in an elegant chignon and slim figure.

Angie, the director of the summer program, walked over and greeted Mrs. Ralston with a warm hug and kiss on the cheek. She greeted Christopher and they spoke for a few minutes. Mrs. Ralston said something to Angie, who turned and looked around the room for a moment before her gaze stopped on Sabrina herself and he smiled.

Sabrina's heart skipped a beat as Mrs. Ralston appeared to smile at her and the trio began weaving their way around tables in her direction.