Chapter 14

Hi there.  Vote, comment, drop me some feedback...thoughts, ideas :)  lol.  I know...demanding, right?  You just have to read and enjoy.   To all the readers who have gotten this far, thanx for the support guys.  YOU ROCK!!

Nik:

“Why did you come here?”  She asked, unclipping the thick chain dangling from the hip of her skinny jeans.

“I needed to know if you saw anything involving…”

“Kai?  You know that I never do.”  She dropped the chunky metal on the tabletop and tossed her rings beside it while she regarded him with a bored look.

“Yes, but you see things involving him.  Has he found his mate yet?”  He followed her hands as they crept up behind her silky red hair and swallowed, mesmerized when she arched her delicate neck.   He caught the slight tilt of her mouth and figured she was toying with him. 

“Why do you keep asking me that Nikos?  You know your visits are becoming increasingly frequent.”  The choker around her neck came off next and joined the items on the table carelessly.  Then the earrings followed.  She played around with them for a few seconds before they floated off her palm and went to rest along with the rings even as she sashayed sexily towards him.

“Maybe it’s because I get to see you more often.”  He told her, standing his ground but holding his breath.

She walked around him in a slow circle, stopping at his back.  His tummy hollowed out with a rush of air as her hand rested on his shoulder, and then spun him around.

“I had a presage, yes.”  She purred softly.  “And I saw that you’ve been holding out on all of us, Nikos.”  She finished, dragging out the ‘s’.

 “I have?”   

“Why would you keep something that dangerous to yourself?”  Medea wondered aloud as he moved away from her and dropped to the couch.

He sighed loudly palming his eyes while he lowered his head.  “I knew you’d find out sooner or later.  Please don’t mention it for now.” 

“Don’t be an idiot Nikos.  I would never do that to you, but my sisters will find out eventually.  There’s only so much I can hide from them, and this is big.”  Medea told him matter of factly, going over to the fireplace to stoke the flames.  She could have easily done it with magic, but the activity was soothing.  She’d always played this game with Nik, but it was becoming increasingly more difficult to ignore his presence.  It was unheard off for their two species to come together that way. 

“Really big.”  He agreed grudgingly, wondering what was running through her head.  This banter between them was definitely changing.   He wasn’t reading her wrong these days…was he?   The firelight danced in the dim room, making her hair come alive.

“You know, more than my sisters, you have Dante to worry about.  He’s going to tear your hide for that one, and then some.”

He smiled.  He could almost see her pretty face scrunched in disapproval as she faced away from him.  “Just for a little while, and then Kai won’t be needing us to cover for him ever again.  Please?” 

She turned, regarding him quietly for a bit.

“For you, Nik.  For you, I will not mention it, I promise.  But you have to promise me one thing in return.”

“Anything…My soul if you want it.”  He offered without hesitation.

Medea groaned.  Inside she wished it was his heart he offered.  Aloud, she told him, “Melodramatic as ever, aren’t you?”  She came to stand in front of him, waiting for him to rise up and make the deal official.  “All I want is an assurance…that he will not harm the girl, or any other innocent.  Once he crosses the line, he will no longer be protected by the rules.”