"You could leave the pancakes and we could skip breakfast." Buck taunted.

"Save it for later, go and get ready!"

Buck grunted and rolled his eyes, leaving one last kiss on his partner before making his way upstairs.

**********

The day had been successful and gratifying. Steve's parents were jubilant when they met Buck. They had known from Steve's teenage years that their son was gay and right from the very start they embraced their son's sexuality. Bucky felt welcome at their home and throughout the whole of his and Steve's visit, he felt like he finally had some sort of family again. The four of them enjoyed a savory home-cooked meal and once Steve told them that today marked his and Buck's one month, they told him that they didn't want to interrupt their commemorations but that they would've loved to have met Buck sooner.

Even as he sat in front of the man he cherished the most, at a luxurious restaurant, that's what Buck's mind kept replaying. The sweet memory of just a few hours before and how safe and wanted Steve and his parents had made him feel.

"Bucky, you ready to leave?" Steve asked, interrupting the man's train of thought.

"Oh, yeah! We can go now. You're going to let me pitch in on the bill though." He got his wallet out, knowing how stubborn his boyfriend could be.

"I said I was going to take you somewhere nice, meaning I'm treating you to this. Put your wallet away."

"You never let me pay anything, I think it's only fair that I-"

"Look," Steve lowered his voice and a devilish grin grew on the blonde's lips "I'll let you pay me later, deal?"

Bucky sighed, a sensual look playing in his expression.

"Deal."

Steve asked for the bill and payed for it as soon as it came, making sure to leave a tip. The two men got up and began to leave the restaurant as Buck reached out for his partner's waist, pulling him closer. Once they got outside, a man crashed into Buck. The brunette grabbed the man to stop him from falling.

"I'm so sorry! I'm in a rush and I didn't even see you there!" The stranger said as he recollected himself and patted Bucky on the arm. "Thank you!"

Before Buck could say a word, the man carried returned to running. The couple laughed as they got in Steve's car and made their way home.

_____

After arriving, they poured themselves some wine and went into their bedroom where they made themselves comfortable. Steve sat upright on the bed with Buck's head on his lap. The man played with Bucky's soft, brown tufts.

"I know I probably don't say this enough but I'm very happy you came into my life Buck. I've been so happy ever since I met you and you've become such a major part of my life." Steve's expression was indulgent and compassionate.

Bucky smiled as he laced their fingers together, kissing the blonde's hand before opening his mouth to speak.

"What about me Steve? Where would I be if you hadn't come into my life. I'd still be living in that small apartment, scared to go out in case I hurt someone. That's no way to live. You've shown me what it's like to truly be alive. You've made me experience every single positive emotion possible. I now know what it's like to love. To appreciate. Heck, even to live happily. It's all thanks to you Steve and I truly wouldn't have it any other way."

Steve's pupils widened as he looked down at Buck. He kissed the man gently and briefly.

"James.. I love you."