31-Not Playing Fair

Start from the beginning

"Every month at the full moon?" Snape interrupted, eyes gleaming.

Samantha half raised her wand, and put an arm out to block Remus.

"I know your theory" Lily said, staring up at Snape with a glare that could freeze a mountain. "Why are you so obsessed with them anyway? Why do you care what they do at night?"

"I'm just trying to show you that they're not as wonderful as everyone​ thinks they are" Snape replied levelly, his emotions seemingly back under control for a minute. The eavesdropping party relaxed a little.

"They don't use Dark Magic, though" Lily pointed out, seemingly a little flustered due to Snape's steady gaze. "And besides, you're being really ungrateful. I heard what happened the other night. You went sneaking down that tunnel by the Whomping Willow and James Potter saved you from whatever's down there..."

The three eavesdroppers shared incredulous glances.

"How'd that get out?" Peter asked. Samantha shrugged.

"So long as nobody finds out there was a Lethifold there as well and centaurs and God knows what else, I reckon we can leave that rumour unquelled" she decided aloud. "Besides. James will love the attention. Let's not ruin it."

In front of them, Snape was now having some sort of fit.

"Saved? Saved?" he was spluttering manically. "You think he was playing the hero? He was saving his neck-and his friends' too! You're not going to-I won't let you-"

"Let me?"

Samantha, Remus and Peter all leant back a touch in response to Lily's cutting​ interruption.

"Jesus" Remus mumured, eyes wide.

Snape too, with the flaming evil that was now Lily Evans directly in front of him, backtracked like lightning.

"I didn't mean-I just don't want you made a fool of...He fancies you, James Potter fancies you!" The words seemed to wrench themselves from his mouth uncontrollably. "And he's not...Everyone thinks... Big Quidditch hero..."

Samantha and the boys watched with interest as Snape dissolved into a puddle of incoherent hatred, and Lily's eyebrows almost disappeared off the top of her head.

"I know James Potter is an arrogant toerag" she began, with a sigh.

"Nobody tell James that" Samantha murmured. "He'll be distraught. And we just managed​ to get him out the last hole of misery and despair..."

"I don't need you to tell me that" Lily was saying. "But Mulciber and Avery's idea of humour is just evil. Evil, Sev. I don't understand how you can be friends with them."

"Neither can we" Remus agreed quietly. Samantha nodded too.

"Come on" Lily sighed, and the two walked away, Snape looking decidedly perkier now Lily had insulted James.

"Let's leave them" Remus sighed. "We probably shouldn't have listened anyway, Sammie. Anyone for Wizard's Chess in the common room?"

"We should carry on the tournament when Halley and Sirius get out of detention" Samantha giggled, as the three left also. "See if the boys can actually beat the girls this time."

Remus laughed dryly.

"We'll win this one" Peter chipped in, agreeing, as the three headed up to the Gryffindor common room. To their surprise, they found James, Sephy, Sirius and Halley already there.

"Nash gave us time off!" Sephy called, when she saw their surprised faces.

"We were gonna have another chess match?" Samantha offered. Everyone cheered and piled into the windowseat, girls on one side, boys on the other.