II

Her mother rolls out of bed, trudging towards her mirror.
"What a sight."
She combs her tangled, chocolate brown hair, tying it back into a pony tail.
"I hate my hair."
She pulls it out letting her hair fall onto her shoulders.
"Nope"
She magically whips it into a bun on the top of her head.
"Alright."
She walks out of the bathroom towards the closet. After rummaging through her clothes she finds a mint sundress covered in white polka dots.
"Okay, it'll have to do."
She steps out of her room only to be met by her daughter.
"Mommy you look so pretty."
She smiles her big crooked tooth grin, making her mama smile just as wide.
"Thank you so much, how about we get you dressed now?"
She jumps giddily skipping to her room. Her mother follows watching her daughters light blonde curls bounce up and down on her shoulders. She stops after her daughter, looking into the mirrored closet door. She stares at her daughters crystal blue eyes-given to her by her father- then up to her own hazel ones.
She's a young mother.
A single mother.
Her husband taken from her by a drunk driver. She was eighteen when her daughter was born. Married at nineteen. The father had died when she was twenty. Her daughter now is four, turning five in winter. The mother has been alone with the child for a year, though it seemed like a decade. Her loneliness is only helped by the love her daughter brings.
"Mommy?" She looks back down at her daughter, meeting those crystal eyes, wiping a salty tear from her cheek.
"Are you okay mommy?"
She bends down placing her hands on her daughters shoulders.
"Of course I am, as long as I have you I will always be okay." She spins her daughter, positioned face to face. She carefully plants a single, loving kiss on her daughters forehead. The daughter giggles, cheeks pink, returning the kiss from mommy to the bridge of the mothers nose.
The daughter turns back to the mirrored door. Staring into her own crystal eyes until the mother opens it up.
"Alright baby, what do you want to wear today?" The mother runs her hand along the clothes hanging in the closet.
"You pick mommy!" The daughter insisted with glee.
The mother looks through the dresses, pants, shirts and coats until she come across the perfect ensemble. A small white ruffled shirt with blue overall shorts over taken by white polka dots. Her daughter is little, much like her mother, the clothes meant for a younger babe fit her just right. As she is dressed the mother fidgets with a lockbox. Once opened the daughter looks inside enlightened. The mother pulls out a white hair band with a blue fabric flower. She gently brushes her daughter locks, placing the hair band in ever so slightly, so she doesn't mess with the perfection that is her daughter.
"Perfect." The mother smiles as she walks toward the stairs. "Come down soon, I'll be making breakfast."
When the mother leaves, the daughter closes the closet door. She looks in the mirror and sees a change. Grey eyes take the place her once crystal blue had. The mirror her moves the same, looks the same. But her eyes. Thinking nothing of it, she walks out of the bedroom.
"Bye." She whispered as she waves away her reflection.
Bye.