Chapter 20: Envious

Start from the beginning

However, the inevitable commences: the girl gets back on her feet. Eventually, she's going to find another boy - who's ten times better than the other one - who will mend her and move her heart. Soon, her heartbreak would be thrown into the pile of tragic, distant memories.

But you see, werewolves have an alternate ending.

There is but one who can successfully fill a mere wolf's heart. A wolf's heart is reserved for their one, true mate; only they can genuinely fill a mate with intense feelings of love. Consequently, if the time ever came when she was going to find her mate with another - she was going to die in the inside to the point where she considers death is the answer to cease her heartbreak.

For my race, the agony that comes from heartache is like collapsing until you turn to dust. In the end, you're left hurt, scared, and with the memory of it forever.

And I, Charlotte Taken, was experiencing this infamous ordeal as I'm thrown into a cell for those who've done wrong.

❧ ✶ ❧

As I traced the length of the metal bars before me and listened to the faint pitter-patter of the rain that descended from the skies, I knew I was alone - mentally and physically.

 My eyes fluttered closed, barricading the droplets of tears that had threatened to spill. The skin that layered my frame was pale, no longer had it glowed radiantly with life. The ache in my heart surpassed any pain I have ever experienced and I was enveloped by the sounds of my own sobs.

The light radiating from the lamp beside me painted the world beyond the grim actualities of prison life into a distorted image.

Reality, like a powerful black hole, reeled me in. My mate, my beloved - who I was destined to be paired with for entirety - wanted to be with someone else. After all, his apparent interest in her had been shown to me in the most harrowing manner.

Multitude of emotions seeped through my veins as the thin, imaginary walls that I have managed to conjure up collapsed in just a matter of time. Sorrow chained itself to me heart, bounding it. I lost possession of my body when I rammed it against the concrete wall - blinded by the pain. At first, I wanted to cry out to Trent but it seemed like the weeps that have escaped my lips were the only sounds I could manage to make.

For a split second, anger pulsed through me and blood roared furiously in my ears. My mind then focused solely on her and everything else had become a blur. All sensible thoughts and reasonable judgment of mine was clouded by a blazing fury and I found myself hissing Megan's name.

Throughout the boundless months of Trent and mine's interaction, I have yet to notice that Megan would tirelessly loiter near us - just an arm length's away. She would slither her way around us mutely, attentive to every action that Trent and I did, almost as if she was some kind of snake.

She was akin to a walking time bomb threatening to demolish our relationship, and she ultimately decided to combust during the fateful night of the Baring Ball.

Something similar to envy surged from within me. Megan could saunter across the world, through the ocean, and return without having to fear that danger's silhouette was lurking around the corner. Despite all the glares that are pointed towards her, she strives with an unwavering spirit to go through the darkest of days unscathed.

Maybe she is the one who deserves to be Trent. Maybe she is the one who deserves the fortune of Trent's warmth and the eyes that held so much kindness; it hurt - so damn much.

Maybe she is the one who deserves to relish the love.

A tidal wave of emotions washed over my body, numbing it. The horrid beliefs commenced a tremor of irritation to course through me and I was cringing at the mere thought of Megan and Trent in each other's arms. Initially, I perceived that was how it was going to be: Trent being wrapped in the arms of another's and I stand alone, with a missing piece in my soul that would never be replaced.