05 - Friends First

Nisha had the habit of staying in the lecture room after class. She liked to glance back at the notes from the lecture before the other one started. It was one of those self-created after sessions when she received an awaited text.

She beamed after reading what it said.

You wanted me to ask for your number, didn't you?

She took a moment, and then knew exactly what to say.

I'm sorry. Who are you?

Ted: It's Ted. Nice try.

Nisha: Ted? Who?

Ted: Come on. Let's not do that.

Nisha: Do what?

Ted: Argh! Fine. Wanna meet?

Nisha: I prefer chatting. Wanna chat?

Ted: I wanna see you.

Nisha: Marshall gave you my number?

Ted: Well, yeah. I had asked.

Nisha: To answer your question earlier, I was expecting you would ask for my number.

Ted: Ah. I was right. I thought I shouldn't bring that up to save us from any awkwardness. I was having a great time with you.

Nisha: Likewise.

Ted: So you don't use much word in texts either?

Nisha: Depends.

Ted: ha ha

It was way too hard but Ted had managed to wait a full day before texting her. He had got the number from Marshall right after he had got back from his first date with Nisha. Marshall had made him promise to wait at least a day before texting, and Ted had followed through. He himself didn't want to rush anything with that girl.

Ted: When will you be free next? I was on my way back from a work site. I could pick you up if you had time.

Nisha could manage time. Easily. But she wanted to be friends first; possibly the only reasons why many people blew her off. She thought she should make it clear with Ted what her idea of an ideal relationship was.

She then replied.

I was hoping we could be friends first?

There was a pause for a few seconds. Nisha wondered if she had pushed away another wonderful guy. Her worries vanished seeing Ted had agreed.

Ted: oh. Sure. I'm cool with that. And how does this work? Do we still date?

Nisha: How about we chat for some days and get to know each other?

              You might think I am a freak.

Ted: That's sounds interesting. And you are not a freak.

Nisha: You can tell me now if you are not okay with anything of this.

Ted: Come on. I am genuinely interested in getting to know you. If you want us to start as friends I will respect that. But don't stop me from occasional flirting ;)

Nisha: Neither should you ;)