Chapter 8

Mason had just finished his morning shower and was coming back into the bedroom to dress for the day. He had called into work, made Alina's appointment with their family doctor, taken Ella to preschool and had then set about getting ready while Alina slept in. She had woken at some point while he was showering because she was now sitting on the edge of the bed, the strap of her pink silky pajama top falling off one shoulder and looking at him in a way he recognized, with passion.

     She smiled at him and patted the bed beside her. Mason walked over and sat down beside her. Placing an arm around her, her pulled her against him and kissed her forehead. "Mmm" she murmured softly as she grazed her fingertips over his towel covered thigh. She looked up at him and playfully asked, "So, how much time do we have before the Doctor?" "About an hour and a half until your appointment." Mason responded. He wanted her. Oh, how he wanted her. He was unsure of himself though, although yesterday had been uneventful for the most part and things seemed strangely normal, considering Alina still had no problem admitting to no memory of a life with him and their daughter. But, she had been acting like the beautiful and happy soul he'd always known so where this unease was coming from, he wasn't sure. Alina, being the determined woman she always had been did not give him much time to consider these thoughts as she climbed on top of him and whispered against his lips, "That gives us just enough time." before gently placing her mouth against his and pushing him back against the bed. And just like that, his unease vanished.

     Afterwards, he held Alina against him tightly and trailed kisses down the sides of her face and neck while she smiled in that beautiful way that could lift his mood even when at its worst. She'd always been so good for him and he realized that he was actually fearful of what the Doctor would tell them today. He couldn't lose her. He snapped from his thoughts as she pushed herself upright and smiled lovingly down at him, "Going for a quick shower, and then I'll be ready to head out." She gave him a quick peck on the tip of his nose and sauntered off towards the bathroom. He lay there contemplating the last 48 hours but not having any new answers come to mind, he got up to dress.

     As he was finishing tightening his belt and sliding his shoes on, Alina emerged from the bathroom and took his breath. Her olive skin glowed with a light sheen of moisture and her damp hair fell in waves down her back. She smiled knowingly at him and dropped her towel, giving him an eyeful before turning around, shaking her rear end at him and sticking out her tongue before bouncing off into their large master closet. Mason laughed aloud, she was simply being her charming self but at the same time he wondered why she was showing no signs of anxiety about this appointment and furrowed his brow in confusion before taking to making the bed up cementing in his mind that he must ask her how she was feeling about this appointment and not just skirt around the issue as if it shouldn't be prevalent.

     Alina reappeared wearing a pale blue sundress cinched at the waist with a thin belt and favorite old leather sandals peeking out from beneath the hem of the dress. She grinned and ran her hand across his shoulder blades as she walked back into the bathroom. He turned and watched her as she stood in front of the mirror and began to pile her hair loosely on top of her head into a bun and then she began to open one drawer after the next and push things around and he realized she was looking for something. "Do you need help finding something?" he asked as he approached the bathroom door. "Where do I keep my makeup?" she replied looking up at him a bit embarrassedly. He hated to see her look ashamed but it again was a glaring reminder that things were not back to normal, something had happened. "Its in a pink makeup bag at the back of the cabinet by your knees, I believe." he replied. Alina swung open the cabinet door and pulled it out, looking satisfied. she unzipped it and pulled her mascara out and slowly began to coat her long eyelashes. She finished, tossed it back in the bag and turned to Mason, "Ok, let's go."

    Mason took her hand as she walked towards him and pulled her into his embrace. He pulled back to look her in the eyes and asked what had been bothering him, "Is everything ok? Are you worried about this doctors appointment?" She cocked her head to the side thoughtfully before replying, "Yes and No," she laughed softly, "Everything is perfect and I'm not worried because I am figuring things out quickly and I don't know why or how but I am here and I don't want to go back." She shrugged her shoulders and turned towards the doorway, "Come on or we'll be late." and she disappeared around the corner.