Chapter 9

Russetstar POV
I realized it was time to make Horsepaw and Willowpaw warriors. I mean, Coalpaw still needs training and Aspenpaw now needs extra training.

So, all that's left for Horsepaw and Willowpaw is to master one move. And Heavypaw and Brownpaw just started their apprenticeships right before Aspenpaw.

They aren't ready yet. So.. It is time for Horsepaw and Willowpaw do their assessment.

I watched them as they were training with their mentors, Tawnyfur and Shadedwing. "Again, Horsepaw, you are doing good," Tawnyfur called to her apprentice.

Willowpaw dived for Horsepaw's legs. Horsepaw twisted and dodged her flailing paws and pinned her down with his weight.

"Wonderful!" Tawnyfur exclaimed. "Now you try," Shadedwing, Hollyfire's experienced brother, ordered Willowpaw.

Horsepaw ducked under her sheathed claws and aimed for her legs. This time, Willowpaw backed up and twisted. She landed on Horsepaw's belly.

"I could rip you apart!" Willowpaw teased. "No, you can't!" Horsepaw got back up and pretended to bite open her throat.

"Alright," Shadedwing told them. He broke them apart. "What do you think, Russetstar?" Tawnyfur asked me. I nodded. "We'll hold the ceremony after they pass their assessment."

Willowpaw's fur bushed and she purred. "Yay!" I recognized that she winced in pain as her ear twitched. It was almost shredded completely.

Horsepaw had a scratch on his cheek, but nothing else. I could tell they fought well. "Brush up on their hunting skills and fighting skills. Their assessment will be tomorrow," I decided.

Willowpaw purred again, more loudly and Horsepaw's tail lashed excitedly. "Let's start now!" Willowpaw exclaimed as I walked out of the clearing and headed for the camp.

I awoke and stretched. Out of the cave, the sun rose high and burned my pelt. I flexed my claws. Today was the assessment for Willowpaw and Horsepaw.

They would do amazingly on their test. I would be watching Willowpaw, while Greypattern agreed to watch Horsepaw. I had explained to Tawnyfur and Shadedwing," I trust you're not going to tell your apprentice 'You're doing great!' or 'There's a shrew somewhere over there!' But I cannot take chances."

They had sulked and anxiety filled their eyes. Hollyfire tried to reassure her brother and Tawnyfur but it didn't help.

I pushed them away. Today was about Willowpaw and Horsepaw. And Twistedpaw. I felt a pang of grief. The young tom had left before now and hadn't come back.

I wonder where he is right now and if he is safe. I padded out of the den and grabbed a squirrel. This would help my appetite. I hope not to have a rumbling stomach while I watch Willowpaw.

She had a keen sense of hearing. I noticed this while stalking a shrew. Once, she had heard me padding to the shrew and when it ran away, she caught it.

I bit into the juicy flesh of the squirrel. "Russetstar." I whipped around to see Quartzpoppy. His clouded eyes made him looked dead, but his muscles rippled in the sunlight.

"Yes?" I asked with a mouthful of squirrel. "I noticed you've been wandering off out of the camp." He lowered his voice. "Is something troubling you?"

I hesitated. Aspenpaw was troubling me. With her spine cracked, she couldn't run fast or climb trees or even stretch! But I didn't want Quartzpoppy worried.

"No," I lied. Quartzpoppy nodded coolly and slowly. Then, he padded off towards the camp entrance.

I watched him leave, wandering if I should have confessed.