Chapter 3

I dreamed.

I was on a cliff, one of my paws slipping the edge and over the gorge. I looked down, terrified and saw endless darkness.

I swallowed a gasp and was pulled to the ground, my paw forcing its way back to me.

I got up and looked behind me. The gentle breeze weaved through my fur. It seemed like moons until I finally recovered my eyesight.

I saw a familiar scent. Alderkit! I stared in shock at the eyes of Alderkit. "Alderkit!" I exclaimed, my fur bristling with excitement and shock.

The tom didn't respond. But he was looking straight at me. "Oh, is your name different now? Alderpaw? A rogue name?" I was fluttering with questions.

Alderkit didn't reply again. I reached to touch him on the nose, but shrank back in horror. My nose was going through Alderkit!

Alderkit stared, then walked right through me. I stepped away, wondering if he could see me. But then, he didn't even flinch when I swiped my paw in his path.

Sighing, I noticed he was looking at a tree. It was giant, with wooden walls at one side and the other and sort of hard bendy wood.

A tree camp? I wondered. My curiosity pricked at every side until I forgot about Alderkit. I abandoned him and leaped to a branch jutting out of the tree. Pieces of bark ripped from the branch and I swayed.

But I didn't slip. I clawed my way back balanced. A light drizzle began to form when I jumped to a wooden ledge. It was slippery, so I had to claw it.

Many scratches formed and I almost slipped off. Shaking with relief, I padded towards a den that opened bigger, with a wooden case.

Something leathery picked out on the case. I figured Twolegs built this but no Twoleg scent was strong. Actually, there was no scent, besides the wood and dust, at all.

I looked to another side. There was nothing there. We could build nests in these! Then, I saw a weird clear square in a ledge on the den wall.

I saw a big spurt of white on it, smeared. I also saw a log.

I jumped to the case. After, I jumped to the ledge, balancing with my tail. I stiffened and almost fell when Alderkit had pushed his way in.

He looked around mischievously. His eyes were full of pride and he puffed out his chest. He kept walking, all the way to the other wooden rectangle cut out of the den wall.

I followed him, jumping down from the ledge. The rectangle led me to the outside. A bendy ledge of wood was in my path.

I hesitated, but Alderkit jumped to the first one, with it shaking a little. Then, he jumped four more ones later. And then, he jumped to the other side.

I tested my paw on the first one, reluctant as it shook a little. Slowly, I made my way to the last one.

I looked up to see dark gray clouds in the sky. I was committed to reaching the end before a rainstorm started and I heard thunder.

Fortunately, I was in the den before I did hear thunder. I stiffened, looking around me. On another ledge, stood Alderkit, his chest welling with pride.

Lots of cats stood around him, talking in muted voices.

A cat stood to Alderkit, angrily. He was spitting and yowling, but I couldn't hear him. Alderkit gazed at him calmly. He jumped down and his gaze flickered to the rest of them, with a mad spark in his eyes.

The tom-cat spoke again, his dark brown pelt bristling. Alderkit let out a battlecry and longed for the tom's throat. At the exact moment he stroke, I heard lightning crackle and the roof of the den fell off and the den was on fire.

Most cats yowled with agony and shock, while others died too quickly to say anything.

Claws will bring death. The phrase stroke me like a claw. Could this happen ever?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry this chapter was short :P