9- Admitting Weakness

RJ sat on the couch across the room as he watched Maine sleep on the bed of the hotel room, remembering the events that happened earlier.

After her accident, she hasn't said a word. So when her sobs subsided and she has calmed down a little, RJ took her to the hotel.

He didn't say much either. He was just there, helped her to her room, prepared her bath and change of clothes, tucked her in bed and stayed when she asked him to stay.

He would know later on that by doing so, they just checked off another item in Maine's list.

Cuddle until I fall asleep in your arms.

RJ was about to leave after carrying her to bed and pulling up the blanket to her shoulders when Maine held his hand and asked him to stay.

He sighed and awkwardly sat beside her on the bed.

"RJ, lie down with me." She said quietly.

"Miss Maine?" RJ asked nervously.

His whole body stiffened as he held his breath when she laid her hand on his arm.

"Tabihan mo ako. I just... I need someone beside me."

RJ nodded his head and obliged. He laid flat on the bed, facing the ceiling with his arms across his chest, keeping a respectful distance between him and Miss Maine.

RJ bit his lip and closed his eyes when Maine crawled up to his chest and leaned her cheek on it as she slipped her arm across his body.

He was overwhelmed by her sweet vanilla scent, her softness and warmth that his arms made their own way and wrapped her in a tight embrace.

Maine sighed contentedly and snuggled on his chest.

Finally, after a few minutes of lying in his arms, Maine was ready to talk.

"Thank you, RJ... For saving me, for helping, for staying. I know you were just doing your job but still... Thank you." She whispered.

"You're welcome, Miss Maine. And I wasn't just doing my job, I was being your friend. Totoo yung naramdaman kong takot nung nawala ka at nung makita kitang nalulunod. Totoo yung concern ko nung umiyak ka kanina. At hindi dahil takot akong mawalan ng trabaho. Yun ay dahil takot akong mawala ka." RJ said as he unconsciously held her tighter.

Maine felt his securing pull and she wasn't sure how to feel about it. If circumstances were different, this moment would have been perfect and RJ would have been the guy she would've never wanted to let go.

"Pero mawawala naman talaga ako, Tans. Slowly, gradually, piece by piece, I WILL die."

"Bakit ba kung makapagsabi kang mamamatay ka parang bumibili ka lang ng candy sa tindahan?" He asked with a slight tone of bitterness in his voice.

"Because it's a fact. There is no cure for my disease and the symptoms are irreversible."

RJ sighed. She was right but he still asked. "Hindi ka ba natatakot?"

Maine suddenly fell silent. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Hindi. I am not afraid to die or at least I wasn't or I thought I wasn't. I admit, I always believed that we should all live our lives like each day was the last and that any moment, you should be ready to leave this world. I thought I was ready but today, in the face of danger, when I almost drowned, I realized I wasn't. That I wanted to live longer and that's a scary and hopeless thought for me to have because there is no hope for me."

"Diyan ka nagkakamali, Miss Maine. Dahil habang may buhay, may pag-asa kahit gaano pa ka-hopeless and situation wala naman talagang makapagsasabi kung yun na ang katapusan kundi ang Diyos."

"You really believe that?" Maine asked.

"Yes. And you know what else I believe in, Miss Maine"

"What's that?"

"I believe in miracles."

Maine chuckled. "I wish I had your faith and optimism, Tans."

"You could. I'll make you a deal, Miss Maine. I will give you a reason to hope everyday if you promise to give me a reason to be happy each day."

"And how do I do that?"

"Just be here and smile that will make me very happy."

"Deal." Maine smiled. She then nuzzled on his chest and closed her eyes. "Tans?"

"Yes, Miss Maine?"

"You're not falling in love with me, are you?"

It took a few seconds before he answered, "No." RJ closed his eyes and sighed because he knew that was not entirely true.

"Good because I would hate to fire you today." Maine said as RJ stroked her hair and held her close until she fell asleep.