7-Random Stranger

"The Beach?" Mary asked to confirm what their daughter just said over dinner.

"Just the two of you?" Ted also questioned as she pointed his finger at both Maine and RJ from the opposite side to the table.

Sensing the disapproval of Maine's parents, RJ uneasily sat in his chair beside Maine and tried to eat.

When Maine showed him the list that morning, they decided to do Picnic on a Beach first. He saw how excited she got as she mentioned how she really loves the beach.

"Yes, Dad, Mom. Just me and RJ. We're going to the beach together." Maine answered nonchalantly.

"No." Ted said.

"Dad, what do you mean No? I'm not asking. I'm telling you and Mom where we are going tomorrow. I am an adult and I'm making my own decision."

"We are still your parents and you live in our house." Ted answered sternly.

"Ted, that's enough." Mary said. "Let's give Maine a chance to explain herself."

Knowing that they should be more understanding of their daughter's situation, Ted spoke again in a calmer voice.

"I'm sorry. You can't blame me for wanting to protect my daughter. Okay. Bakit ka pupunta ng beach at bakit kailangang mag-isa ka?" Ted asked.

"I won't be alone. I'm going with RJ." Maine answered.

"Whom you just met. Akala ko ba ayaw mo sa kanya?" Her Dad argued.

"I did not say I don't like him. Actually, RJ is really nice and cute there's nothing not to like about him. What I didn't like is the idea of having a private nurse."

"But he is your private nurse and now you want to go on a trip with just him." Mary pointed out.

"RJ is not my private nurse." Maine smiled and laid her hand on RJ's. "He's my boyfriend."

"WHAT?!" Mary exclaimed and though he didn't say anything Ted's fork loudly hitting his plate was a clear indication that he was as surprised as his wife.

The room was then filled by a tensed silence as RJ quietly fidgeted in his seat, unsure how to react to what Maine just said.

She must've said it to convince her parents to let them go or... RJ's lips started to curl up in a little smile as his dimple deepened at the thought that crossed his mind.

The silence was then broken by Maine's boisterous laughter.

"You should both see your faces." She said as her parents both sighed in relief knowing that Maine just played another practical joke on them.

RJ's smile faded just as Maine turned to him and grinned.

"RJ is not my boyfriend but he is also not some random stranger I just decided to go with. You were the one who brought him here and I know that you know what a great guy he is. RJ is my friend and he was nice enough to volunteer to help me with my mission."

"And what mission is that?" Ted asked.

"To live the best and happiest life that I can even for a short while." Maine said. She then held RJ's hand as they stared and smiled at each other.