Oh God, Not Again

"The Beast, is he gone!?" She blurted, then quickly covered her mouth in horror.

"It's alright Finley.." I soothed her, "H-he's gone. Dead.
I had the lantern, and it was blown out, with his spirit."
She exhaled and her hands stopped shaking as she held the now rattling teacup.
Before anyone knew what was happening, my arms were wrapped around her in comfort.

She buried her face into my old sweater and held me tighter. Like she didn't want to let go in case I'd leave.
"T-thanks, Wirt." She sniffled as I stepped back into my seat.

I took an awkward sip and my mouth reacted to the sweet yet subtle taste. "Wow, what kind of tea is this?"

She released her stiffened pose and relaxed in her chair,
"Oh um I think it's T2? But the mint's from mum's old garden."

Greg piped up,
"Can I have some too?"
I procrastinated with myself about giving him mine, but Finley offered him a spoon of it just a few seconds later.

Greg eagerly put it in his mouth. "Ew! No thanks, but I like how it has leaves in it, did you know I ate a leaf before?"

Finley chuckled,
"No, but I heard you like videogames, wanna play some?

You too Wirt, I have to show you guys to Michael, he's been asking about you guys."

I gulped nervously, I've never been good at introducing myself.
I finished my tea and followed them two into the living room.

Finley seemed to be talking to Michael & Greg so I decided to patiently sit on the couch.

"Yo, wirt, this ones yours."
She handed me the small black controller.
"You play Mario Kart before?"

"I, um play sometimes with Greg on SNES." I squeaked, the truth is we only had two consoles, a SNES from my dad when he was in college, and a PlayStation 2 we got when I was young.

I winced, she probably thought I was an outdated dork, but instead her eyes widened in surprise.
"Wow! That's so cool!"

"R-really? I'd call it many things, but probably not cool."

"You be careful of my sister now, she might steal it." Michael flashed Finley's trademark grin.
I like him, he has the same wittiness and spontaneity of Finley.

The screen booted and Michael skillfully navigated it to the multiplayer selection.
"Shotty Squid kid!" Finley yelled, "Fine, but I bags Link." Michael retorted.
Greg chose Toad, so I went with Luigi. The roster was filled with obscure characters, so we just stuck with our old ones.

For a few hours we played games but mostly Michael and Finley had won, but sometimes I did aswell.

"Hey, Wirt you're looking a tad tired, mom said you could stay, but I have to go to karate tomorrow so I'm going home soon." Greg sighed as he fell into my lap, he certainly enjoyed himself here.

"Yo, Wirt you still awake? It's 7:30 but if you want you can check out for the night. I'll just take Greg home first."

"I'm fine, just a little drowsy." As soon as the words escaped my mouth Finley let out a small chuckle,
"I'll show you where your sleeping tonight."

She led me into the soft light green room and dimmed the lights, "Night Wirt." she whispered to me.

As much as I wanted to object, the bed was so warm, so comforting, so I submitted.

-Finley's perspective-

I'm so sorry Wirt.

Greg bounced merrily to his house as I followed,
had he really survived The Unknown?

"Bye Finley! Thanks for having me and Wirt over!" He waved with his mother through the doorframe to me.

"Bye, see ya later Greg."
I walked to the graveyard through the dim streetlight, hoping nobody would see me.
As I neared the towering wall, I slid my hand on the cool mossy surface.
Is this really the entrance?
Or was Greg just kidding?

Ok, here I go then. I slowly scaled the huge structure, once I neared the top I inhaled a deep breath.

It's now or never.
The last thing I heard before the ground met my body was the distant sound of a train horn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Errrwa?" I groaned, I had a killer headache and stiff muscles. "Oh, The Unknown."
I stood up and scanned my surroundings, Autumn forest, check. Unsure of what to do, I weave my fingers through my hair.

Might as well just wait in the cold until it shows up. The Beast could sense negativity from kilometres away, and luckily I was anxious of this whole encounter.
After a few hours, the impatience was overwhelming.

"Alright Beast come and face me you wuss!"

"Why must you shout, Finley? You came here for a reason, was that not to face me respectably?"

Oh god, ohgodohgod.

My entire body froze over, speak godammit! This is our chance!

"Uh. *Ahem* So I sensed what you did to them, Beast."

"My, not many mortals have the sixth sense these days."

"You're avoiding the question!"

"But no question was asked. However, I understand what you insinuate. I need a protege."

"A what?! Aren't you immortal, and why do you want someone who severely weakened you! I know you almost died."

"No. Finley you misunderstand, I have seeded my essence with the Lantern. He who holds it is a vessel."

"Lantern's empty, bitch." I leered at him, I know as long as I keep confidence, I'm safe.

"But why do I need it when I finally have a vessel strong enough to hijack?" Shit, did he mean Wirt? Oh, dammit he did say he held it.
I was faced with a major problem here, if the lanterns out than he must be alive through... Oh god, we're all screwed.

He's hiding in a human.

"Speaking of Wirt, if you disappear without a trace he will come here, because he knows you've been here before.

You put him to his doom."