Broken Minds

"I'm sorry, I had to bring that up. It must be hard for you."

He looked at me solemnly
"No, that's not the hard part, I almost let him die. My brother."

Wait, can two people even go to The Unknown together?

"Hey, you guys made it out safely it's ok now. Your alive he is too. You beat yourself up alot, but you're a good brother."

"R-really, thanks." He hiccuped slightly.

Class was uneventful that day.

------------------------------------------------------
-Wirt's Perspective-

My mind can't stop wandering, restless to uncover what she knows, an endless thirst for knowledge forbidden.

"Wirt! C'mon get in the car!" Greg was calling to me, I guess I'll have to put on a better mood for him.

"Uh, bye, Wirt. Oh shoot! Which way do I turn first to get home, left or right?"

"W-why don't you just come with us home, I mean you're basically on the same block as us already."

I'm sure my blushing was getting more prominent, I could hear myself stammering a bit.
"Cool!  Thanks, can't wait to meet your brother."

I opened the door for her, (Was this a thing people did anymore? I didn't want to seem rude is all)

"Hey, Wirt! Who's ya new girlfriend? Can I see? Oh please!"
Ughh, Greg! As much as I love him to death he needs to stop assuming all the time.

"Hi, Gregory nice to meet you finally Wirt talks about you alot."

Mom turned to the teen and child laughing together and then me, "So, what's her name? Your new friend I mean."

"Finley?" I squeaked and buried my face in my sweater immediately in embarrassment, I could feel it, my face was definitely on fire right now.

"Hiya, Mrs P., I'm Finley!"

"Oh ho! You can just call me Mary, and nice to meet you too."

All of the noise of them talking in the backround faded, as I focused on the houses speeding by, one after another.

"Wirt? Finley wants to know if you want to go over her house."
Greg poked my hair repeatedly throughout this sentence. Whilst I stumbled out the car.

"But we have clarinet practice, remember? You're learning Three Blind Mice."

"But, o' dearest brother of mine, clarinet is booooring!"

"Well... Ok but I'll have to ask if you can come."

"YAAAY! I get to meet Wirt's girlfriend!"

"She's not my-"
"C'MON! Let's go! It's cold out."
Finley grabbed the fold of my sweater and started dragging me across the road. "Let's go on a quest! To Fin-leyy's!" Greg joined in and grabbed my shirt whilst singing 'The Finley Song'.

I sure I wouldn't of let him do this a year ago, but since we got lost in The Unknown I had become more tolerant and slightly overprotective of him.
Sometimes it just felt like he & I against the world, two crazed children believing in a purgatory.

"C'mon Wirt, join in the song!  You too Finley! C'mon lets go, it's not too far, it's just a little trip you don't need a car!

Grab your shoes and grab your shirts, or in our case, grab Wirt!

Let's go to Finleys! So walk down Emory lane, and look for the house with the blue roof! And... You'll, uh, um... I can't rhyme with roof." Greg skip slowed with the end of his sentence.

"Look, it's okay we're already at her house!"

"Here, I'll show you the back door, my brother never answers the front anyway."

Finley opened the side door and gestured for us to go first.
"The secret is behind the potplant." She winked and flashed her signature grin.

As I walked inside I observed her house, full of neutral browns and beiges. White ornaments were scattered around the house, some framed photos and paper balls adorned the walls. 
"Hey! You should see my room, I really like it so far."

She eagerly pushed us into the soft lime green coloured room, a computer and light timber desk was pushed against her wall adjacent to her bed.
Splashes of colour lined her walls in paintings and decorations.

Finley's room had the same, spunky personality she did. Feeling an overwhelming sense of comfort, I flopped onto the bed, burying my being into the plush quilts. Finley chuckled and squeezed Greg's hand lightly. "C'mon Greg, help me make some hot drinks, will you?"

Greg's eyes widened,
"Like cocoa?"

"Yeah! You make your hot chocolate, and I'll make tea for me and Wirt."

The door slid shut and i could barely make out their voices as the words became undecipherable.

Oh god. What does Finley think of me? She knows I'm legally mental, but she said herself that she was there. The Unknown.
Was she just like me?
Similar to a snowflake, fragile, yet carried purely by the fate of the wind deciding destiny.

And Greg? No he was like an auburn leaf, blown by the same winds, however, strong and distinguished from the background, full of color.

Logically, this scenario doesn't make sense, but I'm willing to come to terms with accepting lunacy. Besides, what is wrong with being insane if it brings solice to it's host?

Even before the accident I had suffered with extreme anxiety, but I feel my experience with Greg made it seem insignificant, really, other than the lack of sleep I could bear with it.

No, I wouldn't forget The Unknown because it changed me, for the better.

"Yo, Wirt, I'd give you this but I'm not allowed to have drinks in my room, so..."

I jolted my head up, almost knocking the tea onto the floor. How long had I been laying here for?
"S-sorry, excuse me."
"Hey, it's alrighty, be careful not to burn yourself." She handed me the aromatic tea as I stepped into the kitchen.
"Look Wirt, I made it myself!"
Greg had arranged the marshmallows in his cup into a smiley face, now slightly melted.

Finley blushed at this.
"W-Wirt I think I..."