Chapter Five: Conspiracy Theories

The five teens plopped down in Iliana's den. "What now?" Stella pulled her unruly dirty blonde curls back into a ponytail and spun around in the teal egg chair. "Homework binging? Nerd-ing? Gossiping? Hanging out in general?"

Wrinkling his nose at the last two suggestions, Dmitri sat up from sprawling on the floor. "Nerd-ing. Definitely." His uncharacteristically concise response summed up his enthusiasm for this one game. "I think you all could take some ego-pruning!" Then he tapped on his Band on his wrist, pulled up a screen, and put on a headset. "Are you all too scared of getting beat by this illustrious brain?" He smirked at Iliana particularly.

"Of course not!" she scoffed and quickly prepared to immerse herself in the world of Virtual Reality Quests, Mazes, and Puzzles - or as everyone called it: Nerd-ing.

______________________________________

Knock, KNOCK, knock, KNOCK!

The doctor nervously jumped and stuck her pencil in her large blonde bun, sweeping the piles of papers into her purse before getting up to answer the door. Then she looked at the inside screen for the Panascope to verify her guest. Satisfied, she smiled and opened the door. "Come in, quickly."

"Doctor." The speaker came in and nodded in respect. Then he noticed the pencil twisted into her do and raised an eyebrow in amusement. "You still use those old things? And paper? My, my, dear Doctor. A bit old fashioned for such a paragon of modern society as yourself-"

The Doctor cut him off with a wave of her hand. "Compatriot Talmadge, I believe I called you here to deliver this 'birthday card' to my 'brother', not comment on what I use to make it. Make sure it reaches him in time."

"But of course, dear lady," he mockingly bowed and smiled. "Until next time, then." And with a flourish of his hat and a quick swing of the door, Talmadge was gone.

The Doctor sat down and slumped in her office chair, rubbing her forehead wearily. "Now to business." Then she pulled up her screen and looked at her next appointments. Scanning the plethora of lists, her eyes watered, but she soon blinked the tears away. "So many! I wish I could do more!"

________________________________________

Principal and Teacher Blackmont went into the conference room. One by one the other Heads arrived - some with their assistants, some with their spouses. However, Teacher Cecilia frowned when she realized that once again, the Basilik Head would Hologram the Session.  How irked she felt by that irreverent colleague of theirs! Didn't he realized that one should not run a city from afar? But her husband didn't seem bothered by it at all. Of course not! Such important things never seemed to garner even his notice. Why on earth had the Societal and Welfare Committee ever matched them together? But then again, had she not been married to this weakling, she could never have hoped to run a government since only the family members of the original Oligarchy could even touch on the important affairs of state. But that was beside the point. Until the day she could discreetly dispose of Alistair, she would have to  bide her time in silence and plot.

Just then the Hologram turned on and the screen came alive. Cecilia frowned deeper when she realized that the Basilik Head had once again refused to VidHolo, but had instead opted to type the entire conversation and have the computer voice his opinion. What an irritating person!

"Good Afternoon, fellow Heads! I trust to find you all in excellent health since last we...chatted." If the computer could have sounded amused, Cecilia knew Basilik would have made it sound so.

A murmur of polite agreement came from around the room. Cecilia forced a civil "Yes, of course" but inwardly screamed. Chatted! The insolence of him! This must be some sort [of droll hobby to Basilik she mused and mentally murdered him. But he was spouting off again...

"But to business! In several months, we shall once again be holding the Test. This pasts year, the 'elimination rate' was...rather high. That is unacceptable I tell you! Completely dismaying! Has our education quality declined that horrifically? Blackmont! What have you to say about that!?"

Alistair stood up and slicked his hair back. "Well sir, I-"

"Well sir, I- nothing! I don't wish for excuses! What we need is competent Heads fit to run a city. If you can't provide that, I may have to retire you rather early. Is that what you want? I'm sure I could find some eager and qualifying young Blackmont to take your place."

"No sir! We will improve the quality and enforce the rules more harshly! You will not be disappointed, I assure you." Alistair tried his most charming smile, but then remembered he was talking to a computer, and wilted considerably.

Cecilia fumed. And plotted. And waited.

____________________________________________

After what seemed like an eternity of searching, Iliana finally found Dmitri's avatar in the Nerd world. She challenged him, expecting a relishing mental joust, but strangely enough, the fight was over in seconds. Frowning, she pulled off her headset and tapped him on the shoulders. "Something wrong?"

"No." He too pulled off his headset and shut down his screen. "I just remembered some homework I had due. I have to go finish it."

"Ok, then. I guess I'll see you tomorrow!" Iliana smiled and waved good-bye. The other three shut off their Nerd consoles and bid him adieu. They watched him go and then sat down again.

"So girls..." Stella began.

"Yes?"

"Since Chiara has to have the Lock on at school, can you guys finally teach me your sign language stuff so we can actually, you know, communicate?"

Chiara pretended to look shocked. "Communication? What a novel concept! Excellent for conspiring!"

(Hey readers! Sorry for the delay, but being on the road is not exactly an ideal condition for book writing! It may be some time before I'm able to post another chapter, so I'm apologizing in advance. Please forgive! Mia culpa!

Anyways, thanks for your reads and votes. Please continue to do both - and comment! Many votes and many comments are much appreciated!

Introduced a couple of new characters into the story, and I hope you enjoyed them. Tell me who your favorites are so far and why if you don't mind!

Until next time! Happy Reading and Brainstorming!)