You Have Awaken the Beast

We wake in the early dawn and I see Andrei and June waiting. I run into their open arms and they hug me tightly.
"Welcome home, Princess." Andrei says and I sniffle. It's been so long.
"Welcome home, baby." June says and she kisses my forehead. I hear two low growls and I turn, seeing Eric and Andrei facing off.
"Eric stop!" I say and his glowing yellow eyes turn to me. I growl lowly and he begins trembling. I let go and my wolf springs forward.

    I shift and I pin him to the ground. I dig my claws into his broad shoulders and I see him attempting to shift. I bare my teeth and snap them merely inches from his nose. Fur begins sprouting all over his body and I watch his body begin changing. I press my claws deeper into his shoulders and his wolf howls in rage. I snarl and I allow my wolf to come forth. She looks through my eyes and growls at Eric's wolf. His wolf snarls back in anger.

    We were both a mess of snarls and growls, the way a wolf would try to show they were Alpha. Neither of us would give in, me especially. My wolf knew I was higher in the power chain than Eric and she wanted to show it.

    Eric and I were both half shifted, and we looked like the werewolves from the horror movies. Wolves with the shape of a human body. Very grotesque. Eric especially. His head was a deformed shape stuck between a human and wolf. He had the long muzzle and sharp pointed ears, but a human head shape. His upper body was a mix between both, and his lower half was human but his feet were half turned into a wolf's. Black fur was covering his entire body.

    I didn't look any better. I had a human head as well, except I had somewhat shaped ears and a half muzzle. My hands were an unnatural mix between a paw and hand. White fur was spread all over me, and my eyes weren't human. No whites were shown at all, and pale gold had bleed until that was the only color you could see.

    Suddenly our bodies crash into one another. The pack comes to watch this battle between Alphas. And I wasn't doing so good. I am a lot smaller than him, and he knows it. Many of the males try to intervene, but Andrei and June hold them back. They'd say that we needed this, but I needed help. Eric snaps inches from my throat and I throw him off.

    That's when I noticed something changed in him. Something snapped.
Andrei, he's gone mad!
I know. Relax. Lead him out. There are hunters that have been looking for us.
That's leading an Alpha to his death. I'll have his pack against me!
No you won't! Now go!

    Without hesitation I run. I can feel Eric's hot breath right on my heels and I run faster. I can finally hear the hunters snapping a branch or the dry brush. I turn to their direction and duck when a bullet buzzes past my head. I make a series of twists and turns until a yelp catches my attention. I turn my head and I see blood slowly running out of a hole in Eric's shoulder. Then a bullet buzzes past my head and lands deep into the tree behind me. Eric's growl is right behind me and I kick out before I run.

    A clawed hand grabs my hind leg and I fall onto my back. Eric's shot arm was shifted back, but nothing else was. I kick and my clawed paw catches his eye. A loud screech tells me I damaged him badly. I run and lead him out towards the cliffs.
Andrei, calls the packs. We have to fight.
Already have. We're waiting at the spot.

    I knew he would be prepared. He's been the one to call the pack together for this kind of event since I was younger, according to June.

    Eric strays slightly, as he runs on three legs. His skin hand continues to try and grab my tail or leg to slow me. But I keep my tail tucked and try to keep my legs close, but my body wouldn't let me. I jump the small creek that separated the rest of the territory from the cliffs.

    I hear the small whispers of paws over the earth and I see Dustin running parallel to me. Soon the low barking and howling of the packs tells me we're at the cliffs. I whirl around and Eric lunges. I drop and he skids out the the rocky cliff. He limps slightly but he drops his head with a snarl twisting his muzzle. My tail goes straight while I growl lowly. The fur on my spine lifts and he snaps his jaws with a savage snarl. I stay low and watch for a sudden attack. His skin hand is bloody and is trying to hold him up. I fluff up the fur along my spine, trying to look intimidating. I need Eric somewhat intimidated, or I'm done for in this one.

    Eric in human form is already tall a 6'4" and in his wolf form, he towers over me. My head barely reaches the underside of his muzzle.

    I hear a low bark and I move my eye slightly to see a very familiar silver and black wolf with forest green eyes struggling to push past Andrei and Dustin. Beau? I whimper and Eric leaps forward, his jaws clamping down on the side of my face. I howl out in pain as I feel his sharp teeth piercing and cutting through my flesh. I struggle and I start whining and yelping for help.
Eric, Eric stop let me go! I screech and his eyes narrow to slits.
Why should I, Mia? He snarls and suddenly releases my head. I collapse on the ground and I look at him with confused eyes. I feel the sudden rush of heat on my head and I let my head drop to the ground with a thud, baring my throat to the large wolf standing over me. I close my eyes and wait for the moment his teeth will sink into my neck to end this rollercoaster of a life I've lived.

I may not have fulfilled the prophecy of the white wolf who will end the war breaking out among the wolves. I may not have fulfilled the life I wished for, to become a mother and have my own family.

But I did accomplish some things. I left that life with the Druids to join my true pack. I found my father and brother, and made up for those years we missed. I met the three wolves who had the chance to fix my heart, even though I wasn't enough.

I still remember the note I wrote them when I originally was with Eric. I told them that I was gone. That they should find someone else. Someone who won't bring them harm or ruin their lives. Someone who they can love, and will be loved. I couldn't love them the way they deserved.

    And that's how Hayden Lupei's story ends, with the wrong wolf ending her life before the one she loved could save her. There was no saving her, her fate had been decided long ago, despite the Moon trying to interfere in it. Hayden was meant to die before she met the Brooks Brothers, before she was able to take the throne. She was meant to die when her brother and father did, but as the Moon tried, she sent her away before they could kill her too.

    She left a five year old son in the world somewhere, where maybe he could be cared for and protected. Where he will be cherished and not called an accident. All she ever wanted for her son, was for him to be happy and a good person like his father was.