Chapter 21

Lincoln walked into the lounge a few days later and spotted Ward reading in one of the chairs. "Do you feel like helping me with my technique?" Lincoln offered as he grabbed a water bottle from the fridge.

Ward looked up, placing a bookmark in his book. "Still training?"

Lincoln shrugged. "I don't really have too much else to do, figure I might as well spend the time working on my training."

Ward chuckled. "Skye was the exact opposite of you." He thought for a moment. "Sure, I'll meet you there in a minute, I'm just going to go change into something more easy to work out in."

Lincoln nodded and started walking towards the gym while he waited. He walked inside and made his way over to the punching bag. He punched the bad for about two minutes before Ward walked in.

"Was there anything specific you wanted to work on?"

Lincoln looked up and steadied the swinging bag. "Mostly the defensive stuff right now. Katrina can do that a lot better than I can, so I wanted to work on it."

"Alright, which move did you want to try first?"

Lincoln walked over and explained the move and got in his stance. Ward moved to attack him and Lincoln defended himself for the most part, but he ended up falling to the ground in the end. Ward offered a hand and Lincoln took it. "Thanks."

"No problem, want to go again?"

Lincoln nodded and the two continued sparring until Skye and Katrina appeared in the doorway.

Skye crossed her arms over her chest and smiled at Lincoln while raising an eyebrow. "What's going on in here?"

"Ward was helping me on a few defensive techniques," Lincoln offered as an explanation.

Skye nodded in understanding and Katrina stepped forward. "Mind if I join? I haven't had a chance to train today, I was helping Skye with her powers."

Ward stepped aside. "You can take my place. I'm going to head back to the lounge."

Lincoln nodded. "Thanks for helping me out with this."

Ward smirked and mock-saluted with two fingers. "Anytime."

Katrina walked over to Lincoln and smirked. "Ready to get your butt kicked?"

Lincoln scoffed and grinned at her. "You think you can take me down?"

"Watch me," she raised her eyebrows and grinned at him.

Skye ran over to Ward and joined him as he walked back to the lounge. "They're cute together."

Ward quirked an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Lincoln and Katrina," Skye rolled her eyes at his obliviousness. "They're adorable."

Ward chuckled. "Well, I've been told that I'm a robot who can't sense emotions very well, so I'm just going to take your word for it."

"You're not a robot, Ward," Skye said softly. "I know you have feelings, that was only ever just a joke."

"Calm down, Rookie...Skye," Ward slipped, "I was kidding."

Skye gave a small smile at the slip of the old nickname. It was nice to finally believe that the betrayal was all in the past and that they could continue on with the way things were.

Coulson's head popped through the doorway of the lounge. "Tell everyone to meet in the briefing room, we have a new mission."

_________________________