Chapter Two

"Go, Hopie. Uh-huh. You go, girl." EJ goaded while watching Hopie danced her way to a rendition of Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble." She even kneeled on the floor a while ago in a true pop star fashion.

I knew you were trouble when you walked in

Trouble, trouble, trouble

Hopie enthusiastically bowed after her performance. She saw Quen looking at her with an amused smile on his face. EJ took the mic from her and browsed the thick song selection book.

She squeezed herself between Quen and EJ and added more chili on their sizzling sisig. She was about to take a bite when Quen leaned over and kissed her discreetly on her right shoulder. She should have worn her off-shoulder blouse tonight, she thought naughtily.

She shivered and looked at the man responsible for her naughty thoughts.

"Quen, stop it," she demurely whispered.

He just ignored her caution and did it again. This time his kiss lingered more. She could feel the tingling sensation from her shoulder spreading throughout her body until it consumes her. She's barely aware of EJ singing with his back on them.

"I want you." Quen whispered. He slipped his right arm around her and pulled her closer.

Throwing caution to the wind, she guided her right hand on his jaw, turned his face away and whispered on his ear, "I want you more."

**********

Hopie was just about to pull Quen closer but she was interrupted by EJ's loud ringtone.

EJ stopped singing, turned off the karaoke machine and answered the call.

Hopie and Quen both saw EJ's eyes widen while listening to whoever is on the other end of the line. Then their friend started jumping excitedly all over the room.

"OMG, guys. I've got to go." EJ said after the brief phone call. "That's my mom and she's on her way here to fetch me. Apparently Dad came home from Singapore to surprise us and we're going to pick him up at the airport."

Hopie totally understands EJ's excitement. His dad has been working abroad for a couple years now and this is the first time that they're going to see each other after a very long absence.

"That's awesome, EJ," Quen interjected enthusiastically, even hugging EJ briefly.

Hopie stood and kissed her friend on the cheek. "I'm so happy for you, EJ."

"I'm super hyped even at this late hour." EJ said after glancing at his wristwatch. "Gotta get going guys. Mom said she's like five minutes away from here. Good thing I texted her a while ago about my whereabouts."

"Do you want us to come with you?" Hopie hesitantly asked knowing that a family reunion is a private matter.

"It's alright, Hopie. I want to have my Dad all to myself right now. Stay here and have fun." EJ teasingly whispered before leaving her near the door.

**********

So...

Quen and Hopie.

Alone.

In a room.

Without a chaperone.

For the first time.

Hopie turned around to find Quen sitting at the table with a predatory smile on his face.

With no music playing in a soundproof room, she could almost hear her heart thumping erratically inside her chest.

She sat beside him, half expecting him to pounce at her right away. Much to her chagrin, he stayed where he's at.

She looked him over and noticed that he's staring at her intently.

"Behave!" She exclaimed while pointing a finger at him.

"I'm not doing anything," he replied with a self-satisfied smirk.

Argh. Their no-label relationship is actually taking its toll on her. They constantly want each other but they're hesitant to take it to the next level. They passionately embrace whenever they feel an ache for each other. Or kiss each other on the cheek whenever they feel an urge to get close. Or hold each other's hands to pacify their longing.

But nothing more. Not even a smack on the lips.

And now the suspense is killing her. She can't take it anymore.

"I don't want our first kiss to happen here. I want to be able to tell our great grandchildren how magical and sweet it was. And, and, and -- this isn't a romantic place! I want it to happen in a gazebo with lots of flowers. And a band serenading us. With, uh, with violins! And there should be tons of aromatic candles, too." She was almost out of breath after saying her piece.

Quen laughed out loud after her outburst. "Who says anything about kissing?" He asked innocently. Still keeping his distance from her.

Her gaze landed on Quen's moist, plump and gorgeous lips. Before she knew it, she's inching towards him. Invading his personal space. Until there's just inches separating them.

She then whispered, "Kiss me, Quen. Please."