The Death Of The Great Lion

"Sopi." I was woken up by Lucy's whispers. "Wake up." I turned to the side to see her getting up from my side and rushing to Susan to wake her up as well, "Susan!" She woke up as well and then Lucy pointed to the side. We looked over and saw a shadow walking pass our tent from the outside. We shared a look before getting up quickly and walked out quietly with our weapons.

We looked for the shadow we saw and spotted Aslan leaving the camp. "Come on," I whispered and we followed him through the forest. As we walked between the trees, Aslan finally stopped, "Shouldn't you three be in bed?"

I shared a look with Susan before we and Lucy stepped out of our hiding spot, "We couldn't sleep," Lucy informed him. "Please, Aslan. Couldn't we come with you?" Susan asked. "I would be glad of the company tonight. Thank you," He said.

Lucy walked in front of us, holding onto Aslan's mane and running her other hand through it as we walked. Susan walked on the other side of the mighty lion doing the same as us.

The walk wasn't very long but when Aslan finally ordered for us to leave it felt so much shorter. "It is time," Aslan said. "From here, I must go on alone." Susan stepped forward in protest, "But Aslan . . ." Aslan turned to her, "You have to trust me, for this must be done." He then looked at each of us in turn. "Thank you, Susan. Thank you, Lucy. Thank you, Sophia. And farewell."

Aslan continued on alone but as soon as he was a bit ahead of us. Susan and I glanced at each other and nodded before we headed off into the trees and around Aslan so we could follow him with Lucy following us.

Susan ducked down in front of a bush and Lucy and I crouched on either side of her. There was a huge crowd of Narnians that were following the Witch. Many carried lit torches and were cheering and taunting as Aslan walked up the steps.

There were horns being blown and they made loud ringing sounds that rang out hauntingly around us. We watched as cruel and menacing creatures growled and taunted Aslan right to his face.

The Witch appeared at the top right at the Stone Table. My jaw dropped at what was in her hand. A large knife. Aslan stopped in his tracks as the Witch showed her face. As she spoke, even the three of us, so far from the actual table, could still hear her. "Behold, the great lion," She stated and the Narnians all laughed at her statement.

We were horrified as we watched a minotaur approached Aslan with a large axe in hand. The minotaur nudged Aslan with the handle and Aslan growled at him a little before looking at the Witch, standing still as the animals she petrified, on top of the Stone Table.

When the minotaur realized Aslan wasn't going to budge he wacked him across the face and side sending him flying onto his side, slamming into the stone ground. I threw my hand over my mouth in shock as Lucy and Susan gasped. We watched as they continued to make fun of Aslan.

"Why doesn't he fight back?" Lucy asked, desperately. "Bind him!" The Witch ordered. We lost sight of him as he was surrounded by the Narnians as he was bound in rope.

"Wait," The Witch demanded. "Let him first be shaved." I watched in absolute disbelief, the Dwarf from before raced forward excitedly. He had a knife in hand and he leapt onto Aslan and began to cut away his long, silky mane. He then hold the long locks of hair up above his head with pride as everyone cheered him on.

Others ran forward with swords and daggers and carelessly began cutting away at his fur not caring if they cut or caused him to bleed or caused him pain.

"Bring him to me," The Witch ordered. Aslan was then dragged along the ground towards the table and then dragged forcefully up the stone steps and onto the table at the feet of the Witch. Narnians were all cheering excitedly at the events. The cries grow louder and louder until the Witch sharply threw out her arm for silence.

Another Narnian creature that were similar to birds began to bang wooden staves against the ground. The cries grew once again and wolves howled loudly. The drums were beaten loudly as the Witch prepared for her little ritual.

She kneeled down at his side and then spoke to him. She spoke too quietly for us to hear. She stood up once again after she was finished crushing his spirit.

"Tonight, the Deep Magic will be appeased!" She announced to the large mob. "But tomorrow, we will take Narnia forever!" The crowd cheered and clapped their cried growing even louder.

"In that knowledge . . . Despair." She then hold the knife high above her head. Aslan's eyes were darting everywhere and then his eyes snapped to us. "And DIE!" The Witch yelled and she dropped down onto her knees, plunging the knife deep into Aslan's side.

A whimper escapes Aslan's lips and Susan, Lucy and I gasp in shock. His eyes roll into the back of his head and then his lids close over.

We couldn't stop the tears as they ran down our cheeks. My sisters and I grabbed each other and shared a tight hug but it did nothing to stop the tears.

The Witch sharply looked up, her eyes pitch black and proclaimed for all to hear, "The Great Cat . . . is DEAD!" The shouts and cheers of the Narnains grew once again. "General," The Witch called. A large, black furred minotaur stepped forward. "Prepare your troops for battle," The Witch ordered. The minotaur howled loudly in triumph.

...................

Several hours passed, we walked towards the Stone Table where Aslan's body lay. Lucy ran ahead and we went up the steps and sat at his side with fresh tears began to fall without us knowing.

Lucy pulled out her cordial and started to uncork it. "It's too late, Lucy," Susan stated and I nodded, "Susan's right . . . He's gone."

Lucy placed the top back on the cordial as Susan made her way around the side to another set of steps onto the table. She sat down on the other side of Aslan's head and looked up at us, her eyes all glazed over. "He must have known what he was doing," She said, giving us a small sad smile.

I squeezed Lucy's shoulder as she turned to me and buried her face into my stomach. I placed my hand on the back of her head and hold her to me.

I leaned down over Aslan as Lucy let go of me. She stroked Aslan's nose and cried loudly. Susan leaned down as well, wrapping her arms around Aslan and we all cried again.

Out of nowhere, a large bunch of mice crawled up onto the ropes that bound Aslan. "Get away!" Susan ordered, "Get away, all of you!" I watched as the mice began to nibble and wear away the ropes.

"No. Look," Lucy said. There were so many mice that the ropes were quickly dealt with and snapped away. We pulled away the rest of the ropes and then settled back down next to Aslan.

"We have to tell the others," Susan said. "We can't just leave him," Lucy stated. Susan shook her head, "Lucy, there's no time. We need to go."

"She's right, Lu," I said as our little sister looked around and then smiled before turning to me and Susan, "The Trees."