Chapter twelve: Foresee

Start from the beginning

At the garrison she was greeted with a kiss from Thomas. The pub was near enough empty at this time of day so he didn't mind showing her some affection. Everyone must have been out watching the matches that day.

"Look I've got someone here that I want you to see" Thomas said which surprised her intertwining his fingers in hers. He had never shown passion to anyone before now and it came as a surprise to himself.

"What do you mean?" She looked up at him like a lovesick puppy.His eyes even brighter in the daylight.

"Madame Boswell will tell you everything you need to know, ask her anything and everything. I know you believe things about yourself that I don't believe is true I'll prove to you that it isn't she'll help you figure out your fate" Pulling her along she followed behind him, holding onto his hand still he lead her into the small room where the Shelby's would hang out.

Her hair was long dark and curly which was partially tied up with a black scarf, Black eye makeup and a long black dress. She was middle aged but had a great taste in jewellery.Each piece different from the rest. Her earrings dangly but shiner than any piece of jewellery Ayla had ever seen before. When she saw Ayla her eyes dimmed a little.

"Madame Boswell this is Ayla" Tommy smiled at her, he had noticed the new dress she had brought and he couldn't wait to tell her how beautiful he looked in it.Not beautiful stunning. She radiated like a bright light and he couldn't help but feel attracted to it like a moth to a flame.

"I know" she said plainly

"Look I'll leave you two to it" He said closing the door behind himself. She didn't want Tommy to leave her alone in this room with this weird looking woman. Ayla hesitantly sat down opposite the intimidating lady. She didn't know what to ask her or even say but she needn't worry.

"You're lost, I can see it in you're eyes." She said which took her aback. She didn't know how to reply.

"Am I really-" she tried to speak but cut her off instantly

"Cursed?" She laughed a little, when she saw the seriousness on Ayla's face she stopped for a moment looking deep into her soul, she could see hurt and torment hiding behind her eyes. She knew from the moment Ayla entered the room there was something different about her but she couldn't quite put her finger on it.

"Give me your hand" Madame Boswell took Ayla's small hands in hers, they were soft yet tough looking hands, something was radiating from her body which she had never seen before but knew oh so well, She had heard myths about it but never in a millions years did she think that it was possible, she followed the lines in her hands carefully the reading was giving her all sort of answers which Ayla was desperate to find out.

"When you were born ice had concealed your heart, concealing it in a shell if you will. Nothing could penetrate it. The casing had never even melted which would explain why you felt nothing, no emotions, no fear, no love." Ayla knew what the Romani woman back in turkey had told them was true. She knew she was the root to all of her pain.

"I dont understand" Ayla panicked

"Theres no need to worry.You are starting to feel again something or maybe someone is thawing through it." Ayla shook her head with confusion.

"The day your real mother left you in those woods alone she had good reason, she wanted you to live a better life, she knew someone would find you eventually to her it was worth the risk. She knew she wouldn't have been able to provide you with a good upbringing-" Ayla cut her off, Madame Boswell could see this was affecting her. The sparkle that was once illuminating her eyes had dimmed a whole lot.

"So by leaving me in the kings hands she gave me good upbringing? He killed the only good thing in my life!" Ayla raised her voice, she was scorned with her past. The burdens she carried for everything that had happen to no only her but her step sisters and mother.

"I know you feel guilty for all the death around you and truthfully it wasn't you're fault. The ice in you're heart didn't start forming till you were placed in the Kings hands, he made you the way you are he is the reason death followed you" she paused "He is looking for you and one day he will find you and when he does you wont be able to protect your loved ones unless you embrace you're inner weakness" Ayla gasped she remembered what the Romani woman had told her back in her home town. She still hadn't figured out what her weakness was

"Weakness? I still don't know what it is" Ayla said. Madame Boswell didn't reply.

"Whats going to happen to me?" She finally asked "I feel like I'm getting weaker and weaker with Thomas around why?"

"think about it. You are falling in love my dear." Ayla started to choke up, not able to speak she could feel a tear running down the side of her face. The first time she had ever cried as a grown woman. she felt like a child again, vulnerable. She stood up starting towards the door slowly.

"I don't know what to do" Ayla spun around to look at the woman before her.Tears pouring from her eyes for the first time in years.

"Open your heart but I do warn you once you find your weakness it will come with a hefty price my child" was the final thing madame Boswell said as Ayla opened the door slamming it behind her which startled tommy, he sat at the bar with a drink and cigarette in his hand blowing puffs of smoke into the air. Her eyes red but no sign of tears which she made sure to wipe away before leaving the private room.

"What did she say to you?" He asked as he handed her a drink, watching her eyes as he did so. Her lips never moved. They didn't even quiver. She couldn't speak a word to him.

"Nothing important" she finally said but he could see the hurt she was hiding in her eyes, she tried to look strong but he had mastered that look himself so he could spot it a mile away.She took a long sip of her drink letting it burn the back of her throat. As she took a deep breath the smell of smoke filling her lungs.

"its you." she said which took him aback. he didn't know what she was implying but it didn't sound good.Ayla finally figured out all the answers to her questions as she looked at Thomas and she knew how to stop the curse but what was the price for her weakness?

"We can't be together Tommy" She finally said after a long pause of silence. This angered him as his possessive side made an entrance. He wasn't used to anyone leaving him and he wasnt about to start now.

"What did she say to you?" He asked again raising his voice a little but the question was short lived when Arthur and John entered the pub.

"You guys alright in here?" Arthur's deep voice was unmistakable. Both Ayla and Tommy looked over at him.

"We have some business to discuss" Arthur finally said.

"I need to go" Ayla hurried out of the garrison and into the pebbled street. The sun was at its warmest with a slight breeze Ayla walked as far as her legs could carry her. She felt weakened more than ever before. The sound of water running through a nearby river caught her attention. She had finally come to her senses. She couldn't embrace her weakness in fear of the consequence that waited for her.Was her final chance at happiness going to end like this? Was she going to have to let go?