Chapter Twenty Four:

Start from the beginning

Hunter and I quickened our pace when we saw the funfair in the distance. It seemed we were both as excited to enjoy the rides as each other. We got to the entrance and — after some deliberation from me — Hunter paid the fees and we walked in.

"So, what do you want to do first?" Hunter asked. "It's your choice."

My eyes lit up at the prospect of doing anything, within reason, of course. My eyes scanned the area as I searched for something to do. There were so many options and I was having difficulty choosing what to do first.

I gasped as I finally saw something I wanted to experience. "Let's go to the funhouse!" I grabbed Hunter's hand and dragged him toward the brightly lit building.

Hunter chuckled and followed my wishes. We both entered the funhouse at the same time, but we then decided we would spice things up a little. In typical competitive performer fashion, it became a contest. We would split up and see who would reach the end first. Determined to win, I sprinted in the way which I thought was the right direction. Almost as soon as we separated, I became lost. I was never the best with directions, and I didn't know which direction to travel in.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the best idea I had ever had.

Attempting to keep steady, I walked forward as I walked out of the hall of mirrors. I had no idea how I had ever survived that maze in the first place. Now, I had to find my way out of this place full stop. I hoped that Hunter would have found his way out of the funhouse and was eagerly awaiting my return. He would make fun of me for taking so long to get out, that was for certain.

As soon as that thought arrived into my head, a pair of brawny arms encircled my waist. They gripped me tight and spun me around a couple of times. I let a scream out of my mouth as it had taken me by surprise. When my feet finally touched the floor, I turned around to see Hunter bent over the waist. He was laughing so much that tears were coming out of his eyes.

"You idiot!" I hissed, hitting him not-so-lightly on the arm. "You scared me half to death! What possessed you to do something like that?"

"Because I'd get a reaction like that." He laughed, wiping a stray tear from his eye. He seemed to have calmed down a little, which, in turn, calmed me down. But he would still chuckle at random intervals, remembering what he had done.

I was trying to keep up an annoyed façade, but I realised how funny it had been and I let a little smile grace my lips. I couldn't stay mad at Hunter for long.

"How long were you following me for?" I asked once we had both calmed down.

"Practically the whole way," Hunter admitted. "I had no idea where I was going and you seemed to be doing alright, so I thought I'd follow you. But then I saw the opportunity to scare the living daylights out of you and I took it."

I rolled my eyes and hit him again on the arm. "Well, your plan failed because I have no idea where I'm going."

Hunter chuckled, and he pulled me towards him and linked my arm. "I guess we'll have to find our way out of here together, then."

Somehow — about 20 minutes later — we found our way out of the funhouse. The relief was evident on our faces as soon as we stepped back out into the sun. Huge grins took over our faces as we laughed about our current mishap.

"I'm so glad we got out of there!" I exclaimed; my dramatic personality took over. "I thought we'd have to spend the rest of our lives stuck in there!"

"I'm glad we survived." Hunter joked. "I mean, how could we go on a second date if we were stuck in there?"

Boy, that man was smooth.

"So, you'd ask me out on a second date?" I asked, to reassure myself. Although neither of us had confirmed that this was a date, it was obvious what was going on. "Even though I almost got us both killed in the funhouse?"