Nightfall

People in the town of Crescent were settling down for nightfall, as the crickets chirped a beautiful melody. A young maiden whose name was Cinder, hummed softly as she finished up the dishes. Her hair was a dark shade of Auburn, which was always kept down in waves. Her hair was as long as her shoulders, for it was a dishonor for a woman to not have long hair in the town. Her gunmetal blue eyes stood out across the room, which made all the young men stop and stare. Her figure was skinny, almost skin and bones. She barely had enough food to eat, and when she had food she always shared with the needy. Everybody in the town agreed that she was the loveliest maiden in town, and that the mayor should claim her as his own. Cinder despised the mayor with every fiber of her being, since he hung her parents for stealing food from a bakery. With smiling faces, they hung there dangling in front of everyone. Cinder lived in a small wooden shack, with only the necessities. Her sister Celine also lived with her, and she was a carbon copy of Cinder. Except she had freckles all over her face, which in the town took of beauty points. Celine was 4 years younger than Cinder, so Cinder was the boss. "Go to bed, Celine. You have school tomorrow." Cinder ordered her sister. Celine shuffled to the bed that she and Cinder shared, and let out a sigh. "I can't go to sleep, Cinder." Celine stalled. Cinder smiled as she cleaned the table off, and corrected Celine's grammar. "You don't want to go to sleep. Then I will sing you a song!" Cinder exclaimed, resolving the issue. Cinder sang a sad lullaby, that consisted of shadows and weeping willow trees. Celine finally fell asleep, so Cinder started the fireplace up and started sewing a new dress for Celine. It was gray with black and red roses sewn all over it, and the skirt went down to her knees. Celine loved bright colors, but in Crescent they forbid you from wearing anything but red, black, gray and a little bit of white. I started to get tired, so I put out the fire and placed the half finished dress in the cupboard. I climbed into bed next to poor, innocent Celine, who didn't know the sadness and horror going on in this town.