Fuck no.

I didn't even hesitate as I dropped my bag to the ground, the only indication that hell was coming as Rico and Mike jerked their heads up, gasping. Carter frowned and looked up just as I had reached him. I swung my fist back and it connected with his face. He didn't even make a noise, stumbling back and hitting the ground at Rico's and Mike's feet. I glared at them, daring to come near me.

Rico immediately bolted for the door, but I stuck my foot out and tripped him. He hit the pavement face first and I whirled around to face Mike, who gasped.

"It was his idea! He threatened us!" He cried, pointing an accusing finger Carter, who sat on the pavement, grasping at his bloody nose with his good hand. I didn't even answer Mike and shoved him back hard so he fell over, then swung my foot around and kicked Carter in the ribcage.

This time, he managed to squeal like a pig before hitting the ground on his side, hugging himself.

I wanted to slaughter him, beat him, torment him for the rest of his miserable pathetic life. To make him regret he ever met me. To make him regret he ever even thought of hurting Lucas.

But my eyes landed on Lucas. I didn't waste my time with Carter, bolting over and dropping down to my knees beside him. He was still conscious, but he was trembling and his breathing was hoarse.

I felt a lump in my throat as I hesitantly touched his cheek. He looked so fragile, so small now. I felt like if I touched him too harshly, he'd shatter. At the same time, I couldn't leave him here. My heart wrenched as Lucas sucked in a shuddering breath.

He looked so much worse in person than in the picture. His legs were covered in bruises and cuts, the bruise on his face darker. He was bleeding everywhere, the red practically burned into my mind as I managed to wedge my arm under Lucas' head, lifting him into my lap. He looked confused at first, then I felt him visibly relax, his hand dropping off his shoulder and letting that arm fall limply to his side.

"Mmph..." He mumbled past the cut in his lip. I choked against my will.

"Lucas?" I managed, my voice shaking.

He smiled.

I'm not kidding. He looked like he was dumped through a paper shredder and hit with a car, yet he somehow managed to smile?

Don't cry, Ethan. Don't you dare cry. If not for yourself, for Lucas. Don't let him see you cry.

"Uhnm," Lucas ran his tongue over his lips, wincing a little, "Hurts..."

"I don't... Yea." I responded shakily, taking the time to wriggle my other arm under his knees as I got ready to lift him. Lucas hummed something, like 'mm hm' before he tipped his head against my chest, sighing.

"S'fine... Ethn... Mm fine." His voice was hoarse and stained, a faint wet gurgle coming from his throat and it took me a moment to realize it was blood coming up, watching it steadily trickle down the side of his face over his cheek.

"Ssh..." I didn't trust myself to say anymore than that. If I did, I wouldn't be able to control myself and that was the thing I needed most now.

Control.

I had to do this.

I took a deep breath, heaving myself to my feet, pausing as I felt them shaking. I faced the door, ignoring Mike, who was scrambling across the pavement to hide behind the nearest car. Rico merely lay on the pavement, grimacing as he held his bloodied face.

Carter wasn't moving anymore.

I didn't care.

I hoped he was dead.