Hangouts with Austen Snow

[Jetta Frame, AfterDark] First of all, thank you so much for doing this interview, Austen.

Anyone who has delved into the chicklit genre might know you better as the author of the top-ranking book "Bittersweet", which is a huge hit. Can you tell us a little about yourself? What's your background in writing, where did it begin?

[Austen Richelle Snow, Featured Author] Thank you so so much for having me! This is seriously awesome. Especially since I support the AfterDark community and all they stand for.

A little about myself, I am 22. I graduated from college last December with a bachelors degree in English (with a concentration in writing). I can't stand coffee but I love collecting mugs. And I have been writing books since I was in the fifth grade!
I was such an avid reader and had an overactive imagination that I decided to write down my own book ideas on paper and place them in a binder to look like a book. My friend showed it off to other people at school and an English teacher came up to me and said that I was meant to be a writer. It was like the ultimate validation coming from her, especially when at the time she was a higher grade-level teacher, not even mine, and she saw potential in me. Anyway, it lit a small fire in me and I've been writing every since (:

[JF] I think I speak for all of the team at WPAfterDark when I say we're grateful for your support, you're so approachable and we love it. Love the mug collection too! xD

Judging by the positive results that your books on wattpad have achieved, it looks like that English teacher was onto something.

While we're on the topic, I'm dying to ask a question that I'm sure many people have wondered when they read your books. Where do you get the ideas from?

[AS] Oh, goodness! I have many ways of getting ideas for stories. There is no one formula for me. But I'll share them with you.

I know this is going to sound so weird, but really and truly over half of the time my ideas just kind of come to me. I have characters that just sort of pop up and I try to figure out their story. I keep saying "what if?" until I have a plot line. For example, what if she was a baker? But what if she hated desserts? What if he really wanted to marry his neighbor? I just keep asking questions and figuring out things until I have a complete understanding. If I think it's interesting, I'll write it down.

Other times ideas appear when I try to make sense of the world or to cope with pain. I'll reinvent a situation into one of my stories or make an entire plot line about it. It's therapeutic but hopefully not just for me. I write to connect with others and hope that someone can find that link in my stories no matter how big or small.

In summary, I'm just a very curious person with an overactive imagination that tries to understand things I cannot by creating a story out of it! Ideas just happen with the right amount of inspiration, ha ha!

[JF] That is both touching and inspiring. I love the fact that you work so hard on making your characters relatable and keep asking "What If". That's a valuable tip.

I've always wanted to ask...and I'm sure others may have already...but what's so special about that blue sweater?? xD

Also! Do you have any irrational fears?

[AS] Ha ha! I just love it because it says "Let It Snow" and has Jon Snow's face on it. Which, as some know, is my favorite character and the inspiration for my pen name Austen Richelle Snow (Austen = Jane Austen, Richelle = Richelle Mead, Snow = Jon Snow).

I have a MASSIVE fear of wasps. Like I work with kids, and no lie abandoned a group one day when they decided to hit a wasp's nest with their shoe. Those devil spawns came out chasing me like I was the one who woke them up when really I was the one hiding behind a bush hoping the kids packed a flame thrower because they are defending themselves that day. Not me. I'm not going to be the designated adult in that situation who protects them. When there is a wasp around, you are on your own.

[JF] That is hilarious xD I would be in the same boat as you only trade in the wasps for spiders large than my thumb. *shudders*

So tell us, if it were a rainy day and you had a cozy nook to curl up in, what books would you choose to keep you company? And if by some miracle you could meet any living author on the face of the planet, who would you chose?

[AS] I haven't been able to read for pleasure in a while, so I don't know of any new stuff. I would probably revert to my go to book series, Harry Potter, because those will always be my favorite!

If I could meet Richelle Mead or Sarah Dessen I would die of happiness!

[JF] You're not alone in your love of Harry Potter xD

What can you tell us about your current progress with bittersweet, and are there any projects you have up your sleeve that we can look forward to?

[AS] I am currently three chapters away from finishing Bittersweet. It was two but as I was writing the current chapter it just kept going and going so I decided I'll split it. It actually made more sense that way when I step back and think about it.

And after I'm finished I will be taking a much needed two month break because I have been writing nonstop which really isn't good. When I come back I'll write a short story spin off about characters from Bittersweet, wrap up Forbidden Extras/Lecture, and then later on down the road start a completely new book. Can't tell you what it's about yet, but I hope everyone will enjoy it!

[JF] Exciting! We'll definitely be watching this space to see what else is on the austenrichellesnow horizon :)

You've got quite a few words and works under your belt now, so what kind of advice can you offer to writers who are just starting out on their writing journey?

[AS] My best advice is kind of cliche, but still just as true when I say keep writing. If you have a story and you want to write, write. Tell the damn story. Ignore any insecurities you have, sit down, and let the words flow. As a writer you have no other choice but to tell the story because it will be stuck in your head whether you want it to or not. It's there for a reason, too. Maybe it will help others. Maybe it will help yourself. Regardless, the story needs to come out so don't give up on it.

And remember, every first draft is a shitty draft ;)

[JF] So true. I hope this manages to give those of us still working hard to find our writer voices, some encouragement.

Just a final question before we close up, how has wattpad affected your writing? Do you have any suggestions to help our readers get the most out of their time on here?

[AS] It's impacted my writing like you wouldn't believe. I have several unfinished drafts of other books in my computer from the time before Wattpad. Now I can say that I've actually finished a book, almost two, but that wouldn't have happened without this site. Because of Wattpad, I not only gained readers, but confidence as well. It's because of my readers that I keep going and their belief in me is what builds my confidence. Without them, I would be so lost. I always wanted to publish a book but never thought my ideas would be worthy enough. Now I'm seriously considering it because of my readers and writer friends. Wattpad has given me the tools I need to take my dream one step further for sure.

I believe there are three types of people on Wattpad: readers, writers, and both.

If you are a reader and want to get most from the website, read your heart out, but more importantly vote and comment! Authors not only love hearing feedback (praises or otherwise) but they need it as well. I can't tell you how many times I was worried about a certain scene but reading someone's reaction about it made me feel tons better. Plus, you can build an awesome relationship with the author!

If you are a new writer I suggest joining a book club to get even more constructive criticism as well as just building relationships. I have gained many wonderful friendships from former book club members as well as tips/tricks/ideas. It is so important to get involved, and book clubs are the best and fun way! It really helped me succeed, and I think it will help others too.

For the last bit, which I fall into, the only advice I have is that although it may be difficult to read another book while working on your own, it can be beneficial. Seeing your own writing over and over again can turn maddening. Sometimes you need inspiration from others, so give your brain a little break sometimes. Also, if you read an excellent piece then go back to your work and think it's utter shit, just remember that author probably has the same insecurities as well. Just keep writing and doing what you do.

[JF] Well, that about wraps up the interview, Austen.

Thank you so so SO much for your time. It's on the behalf of all your readers that I wish you the absolute best of luck, and we really do hope that those dreams for publishing become a reality. You're an awesome person and a talented author with dedication. The best of luck to you :)