"Ah, there. Ate Ruth, will you come up to the front?"

"And we'd also like to call her boyfriend, Ian."

The skin on the back of my neck prickled as all eyes turned to me. It didn't help that one of the video guys turned the spotlight toward us. Someone from another table started to cheer, and soon everyone caught on – even my sister, that traitor – until I had no choice but to stand up and make my way to the front.

Ian was right behind me, his hands light on my waist. "Hold my hand," he whispered, his breath tickling my ear. "Come on, Ruth, make it look real."

I looked at him and gave the smallest of nods, and I reached for one of his hands. My fingers slipped through the spaces between his, my palm cold and sweaty and yet he squeezed it reassuringly.

"And here's tonight's famous couple," Oliver said when we finally reached the front. "No offense to you, Phoebs," he added, winking at the bride, and she answered him with a laugh.

"So traditionally, this is the part where we have our singles game, but the newlyweds decided to change things at the last minute," Samantha continued. "And they have especially requested the two of you to be part of this game. Phoebe, Ethan, won't you join us here?"

My stomach started sinking when Samantha was explaining things, but it sank further when I turned my eyes to the guests. I didn't see much because the spotlight was still on us, except for a few people at the VIP table and found Tita Ellen with a mischievous smile on her face.

Earth, swallow me now, please.

Ian tugged at my hand. "Ruth. You're squeezing a little too hard."

"Sorry," I said, loosening my grip but still keeping my hand firmly in his.

He smiled. "Relax, it'll be fine. I've got you."

Once Phoebe and Ethan have joined us, Samantha started explaining the game. It was a kissing game, where the chosen couple will do what the newlyweds will do – a kiss on the cheek, nose, forehead, or any body part, really. This wasn't new, and I've seen this happen in previous weddings I've been to...but never with me as part of the other couple.

"Alright, so that's the game, so are you guys ready?" Oliver winked at me again. "You guys will get a special prize from the couple if you get to do all the things they'd do. So now the first kiss..."

Ethan turned to Phoebe and kissed her on the forehead. The cheering and the music felt extraordinarily loud, and some people tapped their glasses but the couple looked at us to see if we will follow.

Ian turned to me, still smiling, his eyes still telling me to relax. He pulled me close, laid a hand on my shoulder and pressed his lips gently on my forehead. It was quick and light, and I couldn't help but think of how chaste this kiss was, yet how meaningful and romantic it could be.

The next was a kiss on the cheek, which wasn't new to me because of the unscripted kiss earlier. After that was a kiss on the nose, which tickled and made me giggle. Phoebe kissed Ethan on his eyebrow, and that had me laughing so hard that I almost couldn't do it.

"And now for the last one." Samantha's smile was sly, and she motioned to the crowd. The clinking of the flatware against the glasses started from the front, getting louder and louder as more joined the fray. Ian squeezed my hand gently.

"Take it away, Mr. and Mrs. Navarro!"

Of course, the last kiss was the real kiss. I couldn't tear my eyes away from them, even if they had broken apart and looked at us, waiting for us to do the same. I froze as the cheering and clinking got louder. This wasn't in the script.

Then Ian gently turned me toward him. There was a calm smile on his face, a contrast to my panicked expression. He leaned closer, his hands firm on my shoulders to keep me grounded. I thought he was going to do it then, but he spoke instead.

"I'll make this quick, I promise," he whispered. "Shut them out, and keep still."

I nodded. He tucked a stray lock of hair behind my ear, his hand cradling my cheek as he turned my face toward his. I held my breath as I watched him, my eyes finding the scar and the freckles again, but this time I also saw how his one eyebrow seemed thicker than the other, that tiny dimple on his chin, and how small smile lines formed around his eyes. His eyes that were nothing but kind, the ones that flickered to my lips, before he leaned down to close the space between us.

And then he kissed me.

The pounding of my heart seemed to drown the cheering of the guests. At the back of my mind, I realized I must have looked silly with my eyes wide open, staring at Ian who had closed his eyes with his lips against mine, my hands balled into fists at my side. I willed myself to uncurl my fists, so I could rest them on Ian's waist, and then closed my eyes.

Then...something happened. I wasn't sure exactly what, or how, or when it did – maybe it was when I closed my eyes, or maybe when Ian's other arm slid around my waist, but it was as if something in me snapped, all the tension leaving my shoulders. I kissed him back, moving my face slightly to get a better angle as I lifted my arms to wrap around his neck. He gave a tiny start, and I responded by running my fingers lightly on the sensitive skin on the back of his neck.

My friends have told me about their first kisses, but no one told me how it screwed up time with how the kiss felt forever when it was only really just a few seconds. They never told me about how it would put my senses on overdrive to notice the smallest of things even with my eyes closed – the smell of his cologne, the sweetness of his lips that reminded me of cake we had shared earlier, and the roughness of his five o'clock shadow as our faces moved against each other. They never told me your heart will pound as if it wanted to get out of your chest, or how you'd want to have more of the kiss just as soon as it ended.

Ian pulled away, his hand still on my cheek, and my eyes fluttered open. The first thing I saw was his gentle smile and a question in his eyes. We were caught in each other's gaze for a while until Samantha's voice broke into our reverie.

"Whew, that was a lot of kilig!" she exclaimed. "Thanks for being such a sport, Ruth and Ian. You can get your prize later from the coordinators."

I saw Phoebe wave at me from the corner of my eye, and when I looked, she flashed a thumbs-up sign to me. The spotlight was no longer on us, so I could see that the people were all smiles, with Tita Ellen wearing the biggest one of all.

We walked back to our table, stopping every now and then when a relative would request a photo with us. It felt strange to have so much attention, so I reached for Ian's hand again and this time, it felt natural.

When we reached our table, Naomi was giggling madly. "God guys, I swear, everyone went nuts when you kissed. Are you two sure you're not together? Please tell me you're actually lying to me, please?"

Ian and I exchanged looks then laughed as we took our seats. Every now and then, someone would approach us, and we'd automatically reach for each other as we talked to them. At the end of the reception, Tita Ellen gave me a huge hug and told me several times how happy she was for me. Ian and I shared a knowing look, laughed as she left, and bumped my shoulder against his as a bubbly feeling rose to my chest, my heart fluttering with a mixture of relief and happiness.

Was this...how it felt to be in a relationship? How it felt to be part of a pair, to be with someone who saw you for who you are, to be with someone who pursued you?

Was this how it felt to be...in love?