I watched as everyone slowly started to walk into the dining room. Drew placed his arm around my shoulders and pulled me close to a whisper, "Less hostility and more care bear."

I let out a chuckle as I playfully punched his chest, "Be grateful that I'm here." I whispered back.

Drew stopped mid-step before facing me, "Please, Avery. All I'm asking, is that you give this a real shot."

He stared at me with his puppy eyes as I debated for a second. Letting out a sigh, I nodded in agreement, "I will. Just for you."

He smiled before pulling me close for a bear hug, "Thanks sis."

"Drew! Avery! Come eat!" Ashley shouted again but this time from the dining room.

"Let's go before she sends out a search party for us."

I chuckled as I followed Drew into the dinning room. As soon as he was in front of me, my smile dropped. This was going to be a challenge but I was willing to try and make it work, for Drew.

* * *

"So what grade are you in, Alena?" Ashley asked in between taking a bite from her steak.

"I'm in grade four, ma'am." Alena spoke nervously.

Ashley giggled before waving her hand playfully, "Please, call me Ashley or Ash! No need for the formalities."

"The what?" Alena asked in confusion, looking at me from across the table.

"Don't call her ma'am." I answered abruptly.

"Ooh! Sorry!" Alena responded within her giggles of embarrassment. I could tell she was nervous but she was putting on a brave face. I think what made it worse was that they kept asking her questions and for the last twenty minutes, it's all been about Alena; her hobbies, talents, favourite things in life. This didn't bother me one bit because it kept the lime light away from my life for the first time. I was simply sitting here and enjoying this steak and mash. This wasn't just any kind of steak, this was the expensive type, it tasted exactly like the one at 515. The perks of working in a restaurant? Free food. These people around me had the ability to pay $150 per steak and they had cooked about ten of them. They had the perks to buy whatever they wanted and not worry about how much money they had in their account, or worry if the payment will approve or decline.

"What about you Avery? How you liking school?" My father asked.

I shrugged my shoulders before responding monotone like, "It's school. Nothing to enjoy. I suck it up, go and do what is required of me. I then go home and get ready for work so that Alena and I can survive and have food on the table."

I internally groaned at myself because my outburst caused a dead silence to occur. Alena and Michael looked at each other before looking back to me from across the table. I had Drew next to me look down at his food in shame.

"I'm sorry, if you'll excuse me." I spoke softly before getting up from my chair and walking out the front door. I honestly didn't mean to sound inconsiderate, sometimes my mood got the best of me and I accept that.

I looked up at the sky as I exhaled loudly. Placing my hands on my hips I began to pace. How was I going to go back in there? I just completely embarrassed myself in front of them. I knew they didn't mean to throw their money in our faces but it definitely didn't help the situation.